Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Making a Difference

Friends used to say to me: "If you wanna help people, you've got to be rich first". I've never believed so. I think it's an excuse.

Yes, it would help if you were rich, but really, it doesn't have to be a pre-condition to making a difference in the world out there. If you decide to make a difference, put your mind and effort to it and you will!

I'm one of those lucky people in the world - I get to combine my passion for making a difference and my career, all in one bag. I get paid to do what I love to do and there are thousands of people out there who benefit from the service that my team and I provide. We get money, satisfaction and a sense of purpose. What else can one ask for?

Well, sometimes, a bit more. Perhaps, we could ask that the office politics outside my team isn't so bad and for members of the Board of Directors that don't try to sabotage our efforts from the inside. Especially to YB Menteri.

The bane of all things in this country are politicians and civil servants. Especially those who are self-serving, sycophantic and petty. No eyes, no ears, no passion, no heart and no recognition of merit and hard work. A blight and stumbling block to Pak Lah's Cemerlang, Gemilang, Terbilang vision.

The secret to not becoming cynical with this country is to make sure that your efforts at making a difference are defined and focused.

Make sure you know your limits and fight within those limits, to make sure that the right things get done. Do your best but prepare for the worst. Malaysia isn't always ready for the change that you'd like to see from it. But you have to persevere, lest this country will be inherited by corrupt and self-serving dogs.

"So, what's in it for you?" they ask. Aside from my monthly contractual salary - absolutely nothing. Just the satisfaction of contributing and making a difference. They look at me like this is an act of pure folly.

Perhaps, they don't understand what wealth is to me. It's not about how much you take, it's about how much you give, in all sincerity. Not everything should be defined by what car you drive.


5 Comments:

Blogger Stingrayz said...

Thanks, Arysa dear. You made my day. :)

2:21 PM  
Blogger Ayu Jamli said...

Life is full of idiotic people. Just because people are idiotic does not mean that you have to be one as well. You can't expect everyone to appreciate you and your actions. What is important is that there are some people in this world who do. (Even though they dont act like it sometimes)

11:06 PM  
Blogger WY said...

just write a followup on your inspiring topic. :D

http://tomatoinc.blogspot.com

cheers.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Voice said...

I bloghopped from Najah's Annotations, to this entry. And I feel such a need to comment, I created a blogspot account just to do so. Heh.

Will keep on reading this blog. Keep on writing.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Tomatoinc: Will do.

Voice from Within: Thanks for creating a blog, just to respond to the blog. I'm honoured. Will keep on writing - it's therapeutic for the soul.:)

Thanks guys!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home