Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Conversations and Non-Conformity

A few people in my life in these last few days, pointed out that I talk too much about my past. And I talk about it, like it just happened yesterday.

And that I never think about the impact, of telling others about my past. That I never look at things from their perspective. That most people are generally not as transparent with their lives, nor do they expect others to be so.

It made me pause and reflect, for a while. I've always been a non-conformist. And what struck me was that you (or your actions) can't be understood in the proper context, within an ocean of conformists - where people observe normative behaviour in that particular society. If you choose to be different, then you stand the risk of being misunderstood or worse, being misconstrued as a bad or lost person.

For instance, I choose not to be hard and cynical. As a result, I absorb a lot of grief )perhaps, too much) and rationalize it. I have a tendency to look at things on the bright side and to give people the benefit of the doubt (some of my friends think that it is naively and overtly so), perhaps, even when they don't deserve it. I try to comprehend and accept and where possible, reconcile, forgive and move on.

I have given up on very few people in my life. One of them is dead and a few of them, well, are just hopeless causes. For these extreme few, I'm resigned to the fact that they're incapable of change for the better.

But all this "process" of trying not to be cynical and aging gracefully with passion for life, takes conversation. Conversations with others, both close and distant and conversations in my head. Lots and lots of conversations. Sometimes, it leads me to ponder things for far too long, always discovering a fresh perspective, from an old situation - even years after the event has happened.

Sometimes, situations work like a boomerang and I come to realize a fresh perspective in the shoes of others, whom I never thought I would understand. This is actually quite good for one's humility.

Life's like that - but it's all a matter of how you deal with it and the choices you exercise. And we make differing choices, according to different life philosophies.

But more importantly, to dare to try out new things and make mistakes. Mistakes are essential for humility and learning. People who don't get out from their comfort zone and risk making mistakes, are forever cocooned in the warm bliss of willful ignorance and become arrogant yet inexperienced, know-it-alls.

There's too many of those, nowadays. Bright people who practice orthodoxy and live with theoretical constructs, all their lives. They have a book on everything, that they have not tried.

It's hard to grow older, to retain a sense of perspective, maintain one's faith in life and humanity and to humbly admit, that most of the time, we don't have all the answers. And where we do know the answers, acting on it can be full or thorns and barriers.

To me, it's about aging and retaining a childlike innocence and faith in life, despite all our personal tragedies and trauma. You can only learn, with an open mind and an open heart. Otherwise, we are blind to the lessons in life.

The conversations should continue, I feel. But perhaps, more with myself and less with others, except for a select few - although that would compromise the diversity of angles and opinions, that I can gather on an issue.

But there are times when I'm tired of being misunderstood and judged (especially by the people I care about) - maybe it's the price of being a non-conformist. And it makes me harder to love, by people who conform.

The world can be a lonely place, for those who choose to take a different path from society's norms. The quest for happiness may require us to be a schizophrenic and a chameleon all at once, when it's suitable.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a few million-cents' worth to respond to some things you bring up this time..

My dear, it's one thing to make mistakes and learn from them to be better persons. It's quite another, though, to make the same mistakes many times and coming out of it the same way each time, in the name of retaining childlike innocence and having faith in life despite all the tragedies and trauma.

You're right,it's hard to love a non-conformist. Because a non-conformist tend to disagree with many things you've been ingrained with and keep close to your being all your life. Things that may be wrong, but nonetheless, when you're used to doing wrong, what's right feels wrong. How does one love one who couldn't compromise being different when being together?

When you converse with yourself more,you're not alone. You've got Him. Perhaps you'll be able to learn better by conversing with Him. Not getting diverse opinions of human beings, full of errs and cons, wouldn't be such a bad thing to miss at a time like this.

If I'm being just another person who misunderstand you right now, I'm sorry. But for someone who is living his dreams, sometimes I feel like you're living in nightmares. Would you please let someone wake you up?

9:25 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Thanks for the advice, Voice.

Actually, all this effort in trying not to be cynical and to always give people the benefit of the doubt, IS for me to be come a better person.

It many not always work in my favour or come out ith the outcome that I hope it would (and yes, as you pointed out correctly, it can sometimes, turn out to be a nightmare) but I do learn a lot from it.

And the things I learn, helps me empathize with others. Those who are in pain, those who are insecure, those who use straight-cut prejudice as a shield from getting hurt in the world.

But the outcomes don't always come out the same, because no two people (or situations) are the same. Some people will let you down, others will not.

Some instances, you will fail and in others, succeed tremendously. Some will love you for being you, others will despise you, for the same reason.

I do talk to God, sometimes. But it's more of a solace, than a solution. It doesn't answer your questions, though it may help you to better accept, your current circumstances.

(Unfortunately, God doesn't reply by fax, so you can only guess the purpose of His trials and tribulations for you.)

But God speaks only through His signs and to read those signs, requires you to ponder and think. And sometimes, to feel. And to make a judgement or decision, from there.

Yes, parts of my life have been a nightmare (certain parts you cannot choose - like family members). And parts of it, have been very good.

But when you choose not to conform, you will take harder hits in life than others - that's a fact.

The punishments are more severe but the rewards are equally greater and more satisfying.

For instance, the ability to forgive, is encouraged by all religions. If you think about it, it's naive to forgive people who you know, will possibly let you down again in the future. Why trust them?

But without the ability to forgive, we lose our ability to mend and rebuild human ties. We lose our ability to be more than human and to overcome wars, hatred and bitterness.

We lose our ability to make peace between tribes, peoples and nations. We lose our ability to collaborate for the greater good, because we've made up our minds, based on the past.

To carry on from a bad state to a better state, faith is one's first intermediary.

I choose to live this dream, Voice and therefore, I have to choose to survive the nightmares, too. I choose to have faith in people and this country and therefore, I have to take what's bad, about them too.

Because for me, it is better to live your dreams and suffer for it, than to suffer no pain, but only dreaming about the life, you would always have wanted to lead.

After all, we'll only pass this way, once. In this world, there are no repeat performances. Live it,... or leave it, never knowing if you could have.

The question is: who needs the waking up? Those who have dreams and nightmares, or those who have been sedated with their eyes wide open?

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know the right answer on who needs the wake-up call more, Ray..from medical perspective, those who are sedated will wake up after the prescribed sedative wears off. Hard to wake up, though, if the sedative is permanently fed into the system...they could never wake up..

I respect your choice, Ray, and your willingness to take all of it, dreams and nightmares alike. I pray that in your life as it is now, the good outweighs the bad,because the world needs someone like you, who never gives up despite everything that comes.

And someone in this world needs someone like you by her side. Perhaps she doesn't know it yet, but you will find her. You will.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding your blog - internet access services. I have just signed up to talktalk broadband and is an absolutely superb deal. I get free telephone calls 24/7 plus free 8Mb/s broadband (which is lightening fast btw). I would definitely recommend talktalk broadband for anyone in the uk. Also available at www.bargainplace.co.uk

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home