Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

An Unexpected Proposition

Okay, enough of political posts. Something interesting happened tonight, which warrants a personal piece.

After a long silence, AJ called me out for supper. I was surprised. This was the first call I've had from her, since the last lunch we had in January. The last time we met, she was making plans to marry Calvin, an Australian boy.

When I reached Telawi Street Bistro, I saw AJ seated in a silent corner alone. I greeted her warmly and the saddest eyes I've ever seen, tried to smile back. She didn't have to tell me anything - I could tell instantly that things did not work out with Calvin - a boy whom she waited 2 years for.

AJ's a very attractive girl. Half Malay, half Chinese and a psychic too, I kid you not. I've actually seen her do some sort of mind reading on me and some other friends - it's frightening. Dressed in a black bareback halterneck top, she looked like an Oriental version of Gabrielle Anwar in "Scent of A Woman" - sad but sexy.

She ordered her food, got down to her story on why it didn't work with Calvin in March and how she had disappointed him. She said she's recovering, but not fully over him yet. And without asking me, she said - "So you finally broke it off with her, huh?"

She's reading me again, dammit. "Stop that", I said. "I can't help it", she said and continued "you make my psychic abilities redundant, you know - you're so transparent. That's what I like about you".

I smiled sheepishly. Yes, I am too transparent. Damn, I hope she's not picking up on anything else I'm thinking about.


We continued our conversation - about Calvin, about N, about AJ's dad, her sister, who was very close to me before the moved to the UK, etc. She had her fish and chips and I just sipped on my hot chocolate. We talked and talked. Conversations with AJ was always honest, easy and smooth flowing. AJ's such a sweet girl, in all senses of the word.

For years, I wondered why she was with Calvin - the boy is such a loser. And I wondered what it would take to go out with a girl like that - since I'm a loser too. ;)


And the unexpected question popped up when she said: "Would you like to try with me?"


For a second, I didn't get what the question was. But her gaze was unmistakable - I knew what she was asking. But I feigned blurness and blurted, "Sorry?"

She continued - "well, since you're single and I'm single and this is the first time ever that we're both single, at the same time - would you like to go out with me?"


Good God. Is she actually asking me this?

"You mean for dinner?" I continued my blur act. I was looking for something that would indicate that she was joking. There was nothing - she seemed quite serious.

Alamak!

"You KNOW what I mean. How long have you known me?". She smiled and chuckled. It was a surreal moment. AJ, the hot girl who I've treated like a younger sister for the last 3 years, was asking me this question.

I got into defensive mode. "I'm not over N yet", I said. "That's perfect. I'm not over Calvin yet", she quickly and playfully retorted. "I'm not asking you to marry me, old man. I'm asking you to date me and get to know me better. And to let me get to know you better. That's all. One day at a time.".

We talked for another hour or so - AJ seemed serious about trying. She confessed that she had been tempted many times during her relationship with Calvin - to ask me out "in that way" and explore having a relationship with me (what the hell is it about me and attached women?) - but she remained loyal to Calvin, even though he was in Australia. And now that they've split up for the last 4 months, it seemed like the right time to ask.

I didn't say yes, but neither did I say no. I just left it at "let's take one day at a time". I didn't want to complicate matters. The old wound is still too fresh and I'm not ready to move on yet. Although she did seem more ready than me - but then again, girls usually have an amazing recovery rate from failed relationships.

With a promise to call, a hug and a peck on the cheek, she disappeared into the night.

I froze for a while and pinched myself. No, I was not dreaming. AJ, the kind and lovely psychic babe, did give me an interesting, though unexpected proposition. Well, at least this girl is single - that's an improvement.

As I was walking to hail a cab, I remembered thinking: "God, I hope she didn't read my mind on what I thought, about what she was wearing!". That would be scandalous! I chuckled.

Tomorrow, I may find out what it's like to be AJ's loser, after all. Haha!

6 Comments:

Blogger MDR said...

dude, this was a great post..it was like a scene from When Harry Met Sally or sumthing.. whatever it is, all the best! :-)

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hot 'old' man... go for it....

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's so unexpected about it?It's not like it was the first time you receive such a proposition.LoL.

Anyway, on a more serious note. I say go ahead and try with her, old man. From your description, she sounds acceptable to you inside out.

The only thing stopping you is yourself. At the rate you're torturing yourself all this while over N, you might be dead before you are totally ready to get over her. What you want is not what you need, you know that.

Think about it.

9:46 PM  
Blogger LastJan said...

Your life should be made into a movie - maybe a romantic comedy. Have a happy ending!

2:10 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Marina:

When Harry Met Sally? I wish! That orgasmic restaurant scene would have been preferable. ;)

Sharen:

"Hot" apa bende - asyik kena dump aje,...haha!


Voice:

No, it's not the first time. :) But it's still once in a blue moon - except that blue moon struck twice-lah.

As for AJ - tengok dululah. JUst because a girl is nice and attractive, that's no reason to jump in. (What am I saying? ;))

As for N, recovery has begun. The blinkers are off and I've begun to realize that she's one twisted piece of work.

Am ready to move on.

Lastjan:

Yes, I think it will be a new Woody Allen movie called "Knock! Knock! Is the Man Home?" ;)

(read the blog after this, for context)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Sharizal said...

a movie? mana cukup?? it needs to be a full blown sitcom! ;) (with spin offs too)

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home