Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

If You Only Had 100 Days To Live,...

I watched The War of the Worlds last night. Although there were some illogical bits, but I think Steven Spielberg outdid himself, on the sci-fi disaster movie scale. It was amazing and scary, all at once.

But it set me thinking about something else, that's close to my heart: If you only had 100 days to live, what would you do with it? How would you live your life differently? What would you say to your loved ones, your friends, society at large? What do you think would become important to you, if you only had 100 days to live?

Share with me your thoughts, my friends.


Steve Jobs spoke in a recent graduation speech for the students of Stanford University, about his life and his discovery that he had terminal cancer. This is what he said:


"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."


And in another part:

"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."


So, tell me, folks - what's important to you, if you just had 100 days left to live?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I only had 100 days to live (which is probably true, since I don't know when exactly am I going to die)..

It's important that I do not miss my daily prayers.

It's important to let my parents and my close friends know that I love them.

It's important that I apologize to my parents and close friends.

It's important that I arrange who to take care of my parents, since I'm the only one they have and I'm leaving them.

And it's important that I visit Rome, Italy. heh.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Bayah on ibadah. That would be the first thing on my mind.

Everything else would center around those I love - my parents, sister, friends. I should finish that book of letters I'm writing.

Funny enough, I honestly believe that those who die, die. The ones who have to prepare are those who are left behind.

In that sense, besides religious obligations and asking for forgiveness, I have nothing else I want to do. Perhaps prepare those who I leave behind to cope without me.

Saying goodbye is pretty hard.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I knew that Death is looming...

I’d pack my bags and take the first plane out. Travel down the Karakoram Highway, explore Andalusia and Al-Hambra, skydive, climb Kilimanjaro, hike the Tasman Glacier, jump the Nevis Highwire Bungy, visit Africa, Siberia, Greece, Istanbul, the Tikal Ruins, the Iguacu Falls, the Takla Makan and all other ancient cities of the world.

If I could.

"For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?
And what is to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?
Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.
And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.
And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." - The Prophet, Khalil Gibran

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this book I read once, a mother who knew she was dying (cancer) wrote a guide book to leave behind for her husband. She left it with her friend to pass to her husband upon her death, and in it was everything - from the intructions on how to do laundry, to healthcare, to a guide to coping with meeting the families of her children's gfs/bfs. And everything in between. It made me cry, when I read it. But it was so real. When faced with death, it is seldom those directly dying who are sad.

Just thought I'd share that.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Grandad taught me that the best way to live your life is to work towards akhirat as if you were going to die tomorrow, and to work towards the dunya as if you could live for another thousand years.

I think it came from a hadith.

Thank you for the reminder.

If I had only 100 days (and knew it), I would pray for God's forgiveness, and the forgiveness of everyone I've come into contact with- for who knows how much pain you can inflict, intentionally or not, on another person. I'd spend time with my family, I'd stave away sleep so I can look at my daughter while she does. I'd lie in my husband's arms as much as I could. I'd want to see Andalusia, Tuscany, Lake Srinagar at sunrise. I'd want to spend my last month in front of the Ka'aba.

I would pray that Izrael would be gentle.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Emma Ismail said...

If I only had 100 days to live?

Well i dont even want to live another minutes.I've done what I shud,love my parents unconditionally,be the best daughter the ever had.give 'em all i cud give.Coz i've got nothin else to live for since i lost my one n only brother,my best friend a year n a half ago. I have no reason to live another 100 days.

visit me at http://somewhereibelong1312.blogspot.com n u will know just who i am.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home