Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Friday, February 17, 2006

The Strength of A Woman/Good Enough

We were in a car, heading towards her dad's place to pick up her half-sister - to bring her to the hospital.

Her father was down with some urinary tract and bladder problems and had just gone through a major surgery.

She looked tired - her previous nights had been spent rushing him to the hospital, dealing with the tantrums of her children, suffering from lack of sleep, snapping at the the nurses who handled her father like a gunny sack, tolerating her unsympathetic and unsupportive ex-husband and dealing with several other emotional issues, which she quietly keeps inside.

The phone rang. It was one of her children, the younger boy. He was crying and sobbing on the phone - obviously unhappy at something the father had done.

She was driving and I could hear her tone of voice soften, gently soothing the child and patiently telling him to calm down. Repeatedly expressing how much she loves him, to reassure him and asking him to relate to her, what was bothering the emotional 3-year old.

I sensed a note of worry and concern in her voice - a part of her was afraid, at how the children were being treated by their father - her ex-husband. He could be a bit temperamental when tired. On top of that, the father never understood how to handle the younger boy - in her words "taking the little boy head on, is a losing equation - because he has so much more energy than you".

Only mothers can make that much sense, when dealing with children.

But she had no choice - she had to sleep over at the hospital to ensure that the nurses were not doing further damage to her father and to leave her children, at their father's place.

Managing young children in a divorced family can be a pretty tricky business - if it's not done well, you'll be unleashing traumatized adults into the world, who never quite get over the trust issues. God knows, I've had more than my fair share of encounters with them.

She hated her job and hated her idiotic boss even more, her father's in a hospital, her current romantic relationship is in some form of limbo and she's going through an emotionally trying time, she's having a hard time with her ex-husband and she's physically half-exhausted, at least. It was obvious that she hasn't had very much sleep, in the last few nights.

And yet, she patiently consoles her child on the phone - putting his needs above her own, reasoning with him and telling him that things will be better.

And at that time - all I could do was be amazed, at the strength of this woman. No matter what came her way and no matter how tired she was, she didn't buckle. And she always gave her best, to her children.

How strong this woman is, I thought to myself. How resilient and giving and enduring her love. How fortunate those who were lucky enough to receive it.

But no matter how much I used to or still feel for her, I guess I will never be that lucky. Or be good enough to receive it, no matter how hard I strived. Love conceals all the imperfections of the beloved and denies all others into the heart, regardless of the tireless efforts of the labourer of love.

The presence of love, makes you good enough. The absence of love, denies you the benchmark forever. It's not about how hard you try, sometimes.

And it's time I faced the facts,...and move on.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

men don't appreciate women like her (or us). ah, the plight of malay women. is it any wonder why we refuse to remarry, date or even look?

i notice that among my friends and relatives that are now divorced, it's the women that bear the brunt of everything, while the men - poor, rich, bald, good-looking - merrily 'get along' in life. while these trials make women stronger, it's funny how society views them. sometimes i wonder whether marriage is worth it.

i take my hat off to your friend.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Dinzie:

Not everyone "merrily gets along" in life. But everyone should try to be, as life must go on.

Yes, but the women do get stronger. Sometimes, stronger is better - sometimes, it's not. It's on a case-to-case basis, I guess.

Yes, I take my hats off to her to. I will never have that much strength to endure what she's going through, I think.


Noni:

Maybe it's not a good idea to strive to be a better man, all the time.

Not when the worse men (or the selfish bastards) in the world seem to be monopolizing the good things in life.

I don't want to have to do right by others and live my life purely for the bounties and rewards of the next world.

I would like to live today for today - and to be happy, before my time is up. Better man or not, that's what I want.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

agree with noni. why dont you state your intentions and get on with it?

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha, it looks like you are waiting for encouragement from this board and you are getting it. Go ahead, but stay cool.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Dinzie, Noni and Babu:

She already knows my intent. I've told her a few times over. But her heart is with another, though the situation is rather cloudy.

And it's time that I move on.

There are people who already think that I'm good enough, out there and are willing to take a chance and throw their hearts in with me, for the long-term.

And they're good, mature, decent, attractive, untraumatized and uncomplicated people.

I should stop making a profession out of being Mr. 2nd Best or Mr. Fallback for "desperate girlfriends", who are unhappy in their current relationships.

I'm at that stage of my life, where I want to be Mr. Best, to the woman that I want to be with.

I want to stop thinking about what other people deserve and focus on what I deserve for once.

And first things first - I want to let myself, be treated decently. It's bloody well about time.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this woman the one I think she is?

In which case, you KNOW you deserve better by now. I hope you snap out of this bout of self-pity and start looking out for people who would love you for who you are.

You're a kind-hearted, smart, personable fella... but man you sure make things hard for yourself. It's not like you're starving for choice. Just be clearer about what it is you're looking for. Don't let their "friends" distract you from what really matters: someone who would care for you and love you the way you would love them in return: supremely, absolutely, and devotedly.

ZR

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 observations: (1) a parent's love is different from spousal love: it's deeper, tougher and unconditional. If it had been the potential new mate on the other end of the line, she will probably react differently. Even if your dreams come true and you end up with her, I believe you can never receive that (parental) kind of love from her - it'll be quite worrying if you did :) (2) It's tempting to put the blame on the father but the kid could just be missing her mum and is just using an "incident" with the dad as a pretext to call his mum, hear her voice and receive some attention and reassurance. It's good of the dad to give his son that opportunity.

Anon 2

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ja, you are a great, attractive guy and I am sure lotsa great, attractive single girls out there who would be interested to make your life on earth a heaven. And good men are more sexy by me (and most women) anyway. And good does not equate to boring. It's all about the imagination.(:

And trust me, you don't want to be in a triangle, get taken for a ride by a player, or be with someone emotionally barren. Or be in a where-the-heck-is-this-relationship-going.
Or as you say, fall-back-person. Nuf said.

As someone once told me, good things come to those who wait. I do find this to be true in the most trying times.

Anyway, not in my place to advise an abang. (;

Take care ya and we chat sometime soon. Keep sometime in March free, yeah, in your social calender.

P.S. so, can we go back to politico-socio analysis ? :P

xxx

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iyelah Stingray.. enuff lah of this self-pity talk. Are you a Cancerian by the way?

BTW have something to say to lil ms d: Men hurt too you know. But they do a good job hiding it. They are after all, human. Ada perasaan. Tak banyak, sikit.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to ms k - noted :) i'm cynical though.

to stingray - TTG and I should start charging you shrink fees lah. i could be very wrong but i think you have this saviour complex. you want to save the women you like. aiyoh, no need to save them la unless they want to be saved. by you. plus you only like the datin wannabes lah.

you are young. you have so many things you want to achieve. get on with your life, write about about the corporate shake-ups etc, be passionate about your work. even if the woman never appears, you'll leave a legacy. think of it this way: imagine you leaving something behind for the future generations. wah, we will build a statue of you then! macam tugu negara! itsn't that better than ending up with one crazy woman frm hell that'll give your heartburn?

women, men, dogs, cats - they come and go. ada anak pun, bila besar, tinggal mak bapak. better have statue.

TTG! TTG! kita buat statue this thurs ok? :))

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you just don't turn her on!but as long as you are ikhlas in helping her,we all love you.

11:34 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

lil ms d, tinks - can i bring the plastecene??

12:22 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni:

Thanks.


Thinktankgal:

Alamak! Lupa lah! ;) Jom pi Swensens! Haha!


ZR:

I take you point, bro'.

I'm a slow learner when it comes to matters of the heart, bro'. You have to forgive me for that one.

It's just the way I operate - faith and benefit of the doubt in other people, comes first. Perhaps, because I've made a million more mistakes in my life, than you have.

But in her defence and to give due credit, she's got a lot more good in her, than you give her credit for.

I know her better than you do - but then again, you may claim I'm biased, because of that.

Ah, well,...let's move on to the woman that wants me, yah? :)


Anon 2:

No, am not looking for a parent or parental love - but yes, I am looking to build a family and to be a parent. And yes, I understand you point on the difference.

And I don't think parental love is the only thing that's unconditional. Depending on who it is, spousal love can be just as strong.

And I've got the track record to prove it, too. ;) Sometimes, to the anguish of my close friends.


And about the kid incident - hey, I'm just relating what I saw and what she told me. I have nothing against the ex-hubby - he's a great guy from what I've heard.


Ms. K:

You can choose to read selected entries in the blog, dear. And not read the more sappy ones.

I'm not going to change how and what I write about. This is my outlet. Sorry about that, dear.


Dinzie:

Shrink fees are payable over dinner, coffee and snacks, for you and TTG. :)

Yes, you're right. I do have a saviour complex.

Not just because I want to save them, but I think people who have gone through emotional pain and mistakes, relate to me much better.

They don't think I'm intense - shiny happy people cannot relate to the serious side of me. Trust me, on that one.

Plus, I don't want a statue after me or to be great. I just want to be happy.

Do you know how many supposedly "great" men out there lead miserable lives?

Maybe the price is worth it to them, because they want to be great. I don't.

Dosa sendiri pun dah tak tertanggung - nak voluntarily tanggung dosa the people I lead, as well? No way!

Leadership is a responsibility. God chooses it for you - you don't choose it for yourself.

Unless you're looking for extra firewood, in the next life. Which personally, I'm not.

Btw, I think you're very Datin-like. ;) Haha!


Clarissa:

I can't do socio-political analysis, all the time, dear. For that, please go to Aisehman or Jeff Ooi. Or Malaysiakini. :)

Don't get me wrong - I love this country, but sometimes, I love me too.

Unless I have an outlet, I'll go bloody insane. People may or may not be there for you - but blogs are always there for you. ;)

Writing without fearing what people will think of you - now, THAT'S liberating. :)

And Ms. J and Ylanda, still lead me on that one!


Anon:

Maybe. I'm not Pierce Brosnan and I don't know how to be modernly sexy, like all these metrosexuals. I can only be myself.

It don't matter anymore. I'm moving on.


Babe:

Plastecene for what-lah?

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alamak sir, i didnt mean it that way lah. I read all of your posts. Be it sappy, self-pity, happy or whatnot. Suke baca.

But you are right, it's your blog. Your therapy. You can write anything under the sun... or the moon honey! I akan tatap membacha blog mu.

No hard feelings okie?

8:00 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pseudo:

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, am definitely interested to relive those days, now that MTYV has started calling 80's music - "classics".

Sheeeesh. Walk the dino, man.

And if I had photos of those days, I wouldn't send them. I was a pretty ugly kid (not that things have improved much, since then-lah,...haha!)


Ms. K:

No worries. No offence taken. Keep on reading, as you please. :)

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home