Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A Tribute to "Queen"

It was a string of firsts for me.

It was the first "indoor" mini-concert that I've ever been to - and in KL Sentral Hilton, too. It's the first concert that I've been to, in years, where I do not make up one of the older ones in the crowd.

And it's the first time I watched an "imitation" band too - the real Freddie Mercury is dead and Queen is no more.

But did I have a good time? Hell, yeah! :)

Our imitation "Freddie" was energetic and stayed in character all through out. He had an amazing likeness to Freddie Mercury looks-wise and copied some of Freddie's more outrageous behaviour and sense of dress (and several states of undress, too) to perfection.

"Queen" belted out all the major classics like "We Will Rock You", "We Are The Champions", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Somebody To Love" "I Was Born To Love You", etc. and the crowd, which ranged from people in their 60's to teenagers, rocked on with them on the floor of the Grand Ballroom in the KL Hilton Sentral.

It was a VIP and celebrity "who's who" event, too - seen gliding around the ballroom was the striking Arianna Teoh, Malaysia's amazing funnyman, Harith Iskandar, our very own yellow-haired music queen, Anita Sarawak and Dato' Ali Kadir, former Chairman of Securities Commission, who was in very groovy 70's get-up. And former VJ and model, Noor Zalia, was busy too, but as part of the organizing staff of the host, KL Hilton.

The music was great, "Queen" was energetic and I was part of the younger set at the concert. Could I have asked for more?

Yes. But that revolved more around the behaviour of my date.

Moral of the story: After a certain age, it gets tiring to date people who are not your type and do not understand politeness and common courtesies. As much as I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, I should trust my instincts a bit more. It tends to get sharper with age and experience. Otherwise, everything is a waste of time, effort and money.

That aside, "Queen" rocked! I really enjoyed the mini-concert and by the looks of it, so did the other 400-500 people who attended. Even though the concert was held in an air-conditioned room, but due to all the vigoruous dancing and singing along, everyone in the front rows, were sweating!

And supper with Sharizal and his lovely and youthful friend, Hottie, made up for all the disappointments of the night. (Even though I did not get the last nasi lemak drumstick chicken for the night, eh Rizal?)

Thank God for good friends! :) And long live the spirit of Queen!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother who had always been a jerk ( and i mean that affectionately) used to taunt me with the song 'I want to ride my bicycle... i'll ride it anywhere I like...', coz I couldn't cycle and had to walk everywhere... in my teens I hated the song and thought that it had the stupidest lyrics anyone can put in a song... but only now that I am older do I understand Vietnam and Watergate and income tax... well maybe not income tax... will never undertand income tax...

1:03 AM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

my boss went to that concert last night. must be quite a sight to have him prancing about in his batik shirt.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Ms J said...

i lurrrveeee QUEEN. Did they sing 'FAT BOTTOM GALS'..always thought that's a tune written JUST for me.

and hey more importantly...tell us more about your date for the nite..no more cryptic clues pls. lash it out hunny

1:46 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni non-cyclist:

Watergate? Damn, I thought the song was just about riding a bike? ;)


Babe:

Trust me - I have never seen so many old people act young, like I did last night. It was fun! :)


Inconditus:

Ms. J, they didn't sing Fat Bottom Gals - but I promise to sing that song for you, when I see you next - in karaoke. ;)

Date? Nothing to tell. Just a mistaken benefit of the doubt. It happens.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Sharizal said...

sorry abt that last drumstick bro if i were u i wud have fought for it ;)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Rizal:

Fight young Hottie for the last drumstick masa dia lapar? I DO NOT have a death wish,...ahhahahaha,...;)

6:14 PM  
Blogger Joe Frigg said...

Awww man.. i missed it.. I was reffering to the brewing Drumstick fight.. hehehe..

8:38 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

JD:

Yeah, you missed a big none-event, bro'! ;)

11:46 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

That's non-event - Gosh, my typing is going to the dogs!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home