Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Monday, January 23, 2006

Changes and Boundaries

Tonight, I realized again how awful I am, at adapting to changes.

It was not something that I didn't expect. I knew that it may be coming around the corner - but maybe deep inside, I wished for a different conclusion.

My ex-wife told me tonight that her current beau has drawn the boundaries for her and she is never to see me, for a casual outing again.

My reaction was mixed, to this piece of news. I was happy for her that she's with someone - and I pray to God that he's better for her, than I could ever be, for her. I've been carrying the guilt of the divorce with me for a few years now - perhaps, it's time to let the burden down - now that she's started life on a brand new page.

But I guess,...somewhere at the back of my mind, I thought I would never lose Kitty. Not as a close friend and as someone who used to be a lot more, to me. I mean, how many people in the world can you claim to have been your ex-wife? Someone who you used to share a life with?

I guess I had imagined that we'd both move on in our lives, be happy with our new partners and go on to have brand new families - but to always have that special space for each other - to be continuously supportive of each other, to celebrate the other's victories, to pick the other one up, when the chips were down. I guess I'd imagined we'd be one of these "modern and amicable" divorced couples.

I guess I had imagined that all this possible - because we were one of the lucky couples to be still on good terms, despite our separation and divorce. I remember the amazed looks and stares we used to get from other people, on the fact that we still get along famously, post-divorce.

But I sometimes forget where I am. And how being a liberal does not quite fit in the larger scheme of things. Nothing can remain the same.

This is Malaysia and no conservative Malay man in their right minds would accept their girlfriends/wives being on pretty friendly terms, with their ex-husbands. It's just not the done thing. The past is the past - and it belongs nowhere else but in our memories.

And in my mind, I know all this. I know how things fit and don't fit. I know life can't be as ideal as we'd like to imagine it to be - even if we had the sort of mould breakers that make nonsense, out of social and societal norms.


But I guess - I'm feeling this way because I know I'll greatly miss Kitty's company. It's indeed a great loss to me, not being able to see her again - and being reduced to the occasional "hi-how-are-you" phone calls. My ex-wife is a warm and giving person, a great conversationalist and certainly, one of the most intelligent women, I've ever come across in my life. She has a kooky sense of humour, bags of humility and great dress sense.

She loved me for who I am and accepted all of my faults, without exception. And her gracious sense of forgiveness, is second to none. And there is great strength in her - the potential of which, even she does not realize.

The marriage was not a success - but I consider some of the moments I've had with her as some of the most blessed in my life. With Zaphod, my brother-in-law, the gentlest soul and one of the most understanding people I've ever met. With her Mama and Papa - moments of sheer parental love from people who were not my flesh and blood. They were both proud of my achievements - and unlike my late mother - had the chance to tell me this, when they're still alive.

I'm happy for you, Kitty. I honestly am. I wish you all the best in your future, with him. May he be able to give you the all the happiness in the world, that I never could.

But yes,...I will miss your presence, Kitty.

But it's time that I accept that no matter how hard you (or other people) strive to break the mould - life will not always be, as you imagined it to be. We have a say and a stake in society but reciprocally, society has a a say and a stake in our lives, too.

No man is an island. Changes will always come. Boundaries will constantly be redrawn by you, with you and for you. The trick is not to avoid all earthly attachments - the trick is to accept and graciously release, when inevitable situations arise which may change the coastlines of your life.

There is a time and place for everything under the sun, as the saying goes.

And unflagging courage, faith and maturity is what it takes, to give it your all, despite the grief of what you may lose tomorrow, when the boundaries change on you.

15 Comments:

Blogger LastJan said...

I guess it's not hard to understand Kitty's new beau's feelings. Can a man and a woman who were once married continue to be friends and nothing more? For that matter, can two people of opposite sex who profess or once professed attraction to one another really rule out the chance of a moment of weakness?

9:36 AM  
Blogger Elina said...

Sorry, Sting...but I'm going to have to go with lastjan and Kitty's current beau. I would draw those same boundaries but then, I have become a lot less trusting of relationships.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Lastjan:

Yes, they can.

Some things will never end, like mutual affection and the deep understanding that we have of one another.

Some other things do end - because we now know better. Much better. At least, my ex-wife and I, do.


Elina:

It's not the drawing of the boundaries , that I'm surprised by. It's a perfectly normal reaction and I half-expected it.

I guess I was just expecting a bit too much, of life. As always.

Old habits die hard.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni:

To be fair, current beau never asked ex-wifey to stop being friends with me. Just not to see me, because we were once married.

Honestly, I accept it and taking into context of who I was to her, where I am and the norms of our society, I understand it. Reluctantly, perhaps - but I do understand it.

But yes - go kiss your hubby's hand when you go back. There is much respect and trust shown by him, for your personal space and friendships.

You're very lucky, Noni.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you're feeling now, dear Stingray. So you're definitely not alone on this.

Hopefully, someday, God will give us the strength to close some difficult chapters of our lives and let us move on.

Hopefully, someday, we will be able to experience true happiness and contentment.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

errks... ALLO... how about him being lucky???

12:12 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

Amin to that, for both you and me. Am still looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Although at least, now I've learned not to be miserable - while I'm still in it. It's a step-up, I guess.


Noni a.k.a. Not-chopped-liver:

Aiya, woman,....of course your husband is a damn lucky lar! That goes without saying, right? ;)

1:30 AM  
Blogger Pink-Fins @ Blue-Fins said...

Noni... hahahah think your hubby deserve MORE than cium tangan.. heheheeheh you lucky lucky girl..

Ray - sorry to hear that but i kinda understand what kitty's man going thru. I dont think i can stand my man (when i find one)being friends with ex-wifey or ex-gf even

7:01 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pink-Fins:

Alamak! Like that susah la you nak pinang I! ;)

Aiseyyyy, looks like I have to become Dato' Stingray and snatch Siti Nurhaliza away from Dato' K lah, like this. ;)

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ pink fins

MORE than cium tangan???? Apakebende yang nak dibagik lagi... ferarri dah bagi dah last year...

@ ikan pari

Kalu nak celen Dato' K, u gotta make sure misai u pun 2 kali ganda punya tebal-er than his...

11:44 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni a.k.a. Datin X-rated: ;)

Misai tebal? Aisey, itu susah nak compete - my moustache tends to look like cat's whiskers, bila tebal.

But as P. Ramlee would sing it (as Labi) in the film "Labu Labi" (in response to Labu's "misai teballll ular sawa" remark) - "Inilah diaaa,... idaaaman dara,... lawa tiadaaaa,...manis adaaaa,..." ;)

3:41 AM  
Blogger Joe Frigg said...

Au contraire.. I totally disagree about the Malay Man automatic syndrome of not letting their ex's be in communication..

I might not have a strong frame of reference and experience in this area but dood.. it's actually a sign of insecurity on Kitty's new Beau's side..

u are the harmless "Kitty" in this picture.. he's just got no balls to trust her enough to maintain amicable friendly relations as two civil people..

bah.. sorry laa.. it is this same lame quality in people that is a major turn off.. and guess what.. it is more apparent in the Malays (both sexes) than other.. now you know why i flipped to the other greener side.. with the envy of others.. muahaha..

Look.. there was friendship before the marriage.. and if the foundation of friendship remains after the marriage.. then that's it and all will be.. both of you are adults and civil enough to behave and be respectful of each other's feelings about the divorce that you would not be jumping off to bed whenever you both had the chance after the divorce.. (exception applies to Sharizal and..)

sigh..
1) he's just scared of losing her to you or anyone..
2) he's just insecure about his ability to keep a girl like Kitty..
3) he's lacking in trust for her that Kitty should, by right, have an issue with him..
4) Kitty should re-examine being with him because of this.. potential possesiveness and abusive behaviour pattern..
5) Don't you need to maintain communications with her as part of both your divorce rights.. duh?
6) She should just slap him for having the odasity to put that kind of restriction on her.. for god's sake.. he's not married to her yet and putting all these boundaries??

what the..???

8:58 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

JD:

It's fine. Honestly. I've accepted it.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know u have accepted the thing between u and Kitty. But just for fun lah.. put yrself in Kitty's new beau shoes. Would you tell yr new beau to stop seeing her ex-hubby too?

1:57 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Ms. K:

Definitely not.

I value the relationships/friendships in my life and as much as I would expect my partner one day, to accord the respect of my space to me - I would want to accord the same respect to her.

But these things are subjective. To each their own.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home