Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Scientific Explanation for Irrationality

Whenever I have to draft a legal document, I run into a mental block. This was the reason I never became a practising lawyer. I hate drafting documents which have no numbers on them.

So, I'm going to blog a while, to clear my mind. And by the time I'm done with this entry, my mental block should be cleared and the words for the legal documentation should flow down to paper, as easily as writing this blog.

****************************************************

Here's something from Dr. Harville Hendrix, a relationship therapist, giving a scientific explanation for the phenomenon of "Opposites Attract" (a.k.a. to some of us, as why girls fall for sons-out-of-wedlock and why guys fall for female dogs) ;):

"When we fall in love we feel whole again, for in our beloved, for in our beloved we annex the qualities dormant and missing in ourselves.

But it's not luck - there is method to this madness. Just as partners are attracted to each other on the basis of their symmetrical wounding on the developmental scale, they are also attracted on the basis of their complementary adaptations to the socialization process".


Does that sound Greek to you?

Okay, here's a translation (also by Dr. Hendrix):

"Nature is up to her old tricks again, easing us into a relationship that has the potential to heal our wounds. With sly wisdom, it pairs you with an incompatible partner to create the chemistry for growth."


Interesting. (Now, I have a scientific excuse for my rather tragic preferences in women. ;))

And Dr. Hendrix continues:

"Chances are that the people you are drawn to and admire possess qualities that you long for or that were dismissed or disdained in your home. If you get close to such people, you feel good about yourself, more complete, through the association.

You never cry at the movies, perhaps, but you love to go with your friend who sobs through the sentimental scenes. You may love to laugh and dance, but find yourself drawn to dating partners with logical, buttoned-down minds".



Actually, this would explain a lot of friendships, too (like why an outstanding moral citizen like ZR, hangs around with me, perhaps ;))

*******************************************************

If I had to name 3 things that were "dismissed and disdained" in my home during my growing-up years, it would be the following:

a) Open displays of affection and emotional tenderness, verbally or physically;

b) People who did not conform or perform to society's norms and expectations in an academic, status, marital, financial or material sense (publicly or privately). Or people who value contribution above self; and

c) Strong Malay women who have an opinion on issues and sometimes, are willing to speak their minds in public.


Based on that brief analysis - it would explain a lot, about the women I tend to fall for. They break the mould - they're cultural non-conformists, publicly or privately, both good or bad. And almost always, they've had a difficult and tenuous relationship with at least, one parent.

I have a thing for women that don't walk the line. The nutjobs, as Dina would say it. At least, now I have a scientific justification for it. ;)

Yeah, right!

(Note to self: Forget reading Freud or other psychologists. Get into a psychiatrist's chair and get treatment. Brainwash self into admiring good, dependable conformists)

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so Mr Ray..
are u hinting those qualities to ur date tomorrow ahh??? ;p
hope she reads this.. *wink* wink*

12:22 AM  
Blogger raksaksabiskut said...

Ray, i'm curious, does all this self-analysis help in any way?

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello your nutjobs are not in the least anyway you described. you go for BEAUTIFUL DATIN types that want MONEY and STATUS. cuba you date someone like TTG, Lily, my friends or me. pening you.

haiyah, tomorrow when we meet, before the datin turns up, i really am going to basuh you. good lah you end up with this girl, we girls don't have to babysit you anymore.

sorry stingray, but sometimes you really exasperate us.

if you want a strong type, are you open to this: i may have a slightly overweight, not so pretty friend who is doing well in her career (my friends won't whack you for money lah)? but very no nonsense, so none of these typical wannabe datuk tricks.

if you were my kid brother dah lah i pulas telinga you.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Shud:

Actually, it's not a hint at all. I was just writing this for the sake of writing. Honest.


raksaksabiskut:

In changing my preferences, definitely not.

In helping me accept the current circumstances - definitely. Everyday is a loooong journey for me - the hours feel endless.

But I'll survive - as long as I can outlet on this blog.


Dinzie:

Sorry for exasperating you and the rest. Honestly, I don't want to be at this weird place in my life, either.

But some choices are made subsconsciously - it's beyond what our minds can tell our hearts to feel.

And I think your generalization of my "datins" are wrong, on most counts.

Dinzie, as I said before, don't be my fairy godmother/matchmaker. I'm a nightmare of a male Cinderella, I tell you. I'm difficult by nature and my choices make me impossible to live with, sometimes.

Let's just have fun at dinner tomorrow - just looking forward to catching up with you and TTG.

Fullstop. K? And no pulas telinga, please. You'll ruin my Stuart Little ears. ;)


TTG:

By the sounds of Dinzie, I may even have to bring a baseball bat, to defend myself.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

er dinner's between you and the datin. we girls are sitting at the next table. :)

7:30 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Dinzie:

No, you guys are not!!! C'mon, don't do this to me! This is supposed to be a great group dinner.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray, Good luck with your date and just make it a fun night!

There is NOTHING wrong with the qualities you like in your women. As for me, I find myself attracted to girls with a wild streak, but have never touched them yet.

A long time ago, I was interested in a German girl, but then found out she was a slut. She was quite colour blind about whom she slept with. I never got involved, but if I had, I would have lived a totally morally decadent lifestyle.

I was interested in a girl who was both pretty and smart (MBA from a prestigous university). But ...

Here in JKT, when I was with an Indonesian friend at a club, one of the girls offered to .. (censored) Then the Stallion told me to .. (details are censored but it has to do with Ning's fantasy).

I would have found it shocking - except that she is so pretty (think of the datin types around Tengku Imram, but younger), and when she looked at us with her eyes and manja expression...

Not yet! and no kinky stuff!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

TTG:

If you want to pull leg, pull one or both legs. No pulling the 3rd leg, ok? ;D That one not for sale, tonight.


Babu:

Again, it's not a date, bro'. I'ts dinner with a GROUP of people.

Why doesn't anyone believe me? :(

It takes a strong married man to survive, in Jakarta - with all those hot women around. I'm sure you'll do well, in holding up. ;)

Tengku Imran types, huh? Heh! :)

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

er fyi, i dunno the girl. and my friend zub is joining us. so kan, 2 divorced women, two single women, your date and you... ini seating plan manyak susah wor. that's why, you and datin will be on one side and we girls on the other.

aiyoh apa susah. cannot talk to her, just look at her lah. according to ttg, she is very bergetah and buntut still naik. putih melepak somemore. better her than four old hags kan ;)

11:21 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Dinzie:

The more I hear about tonight's plot - the more I feel that I'm with the cast of the Drew Carey show,...:(

I'm SO going to regret tonight, aren't I?

I can see it happening now - another great disaster on the cards that will make the bloopern escapades at The Room, pale in comparison,....

Aiyommaaaaaaa,....kadavale, kadavale,...cit! cit! pooorahhhh!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Tengku Imran type, but not so polished (it takes a lot of money to maintain their looks and attire).

My language was not precise enough. It was she who made the offer of "the fantasy"; the Stallion only suggested to increase the size of the group ;)

11:48 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Babu:

Well, whatever the "Fantasy" is, it sure sounds good. Good for you, for saying no. :)


TTG:

No. The pretty lady is not driving me home. I mean, I don't know her!
I shy, maaaaa.....

(Apa,...tak percaya?,...;))

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray, bro', one last post before signing off (I don't like the trend that my posts have been heading, I gotta stop "corrupting" you).

I saw the girl in question with a friend whom I haven't met in a while. At first I thought he was with his wife, then realised that she is fairer skinned (his wife is part mamak). He told me that she is his "teman se mesra".

Later, I bumped into her at the club, and she was alone. When another friend came over, that was when she made the offer. And, yes, she costs money, but I didn't ask how much.

The "fantasy" in question? Google on "ning baizura fhm 2000".

One last tip. Don't be shy! According to the Stallion - all the action that he has encountered here, have all been initiated by the women. They want us too!

4:59 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Babu:

"Teman se-mesra"? Ahhahhahahaha. There's so many married men out there that would love to use that phrase, whatever that means. ;)

Especially for Ning Baizura's FHM fantasy. ;)

And don't worry, you're not corrupting me. You're about 18 years too late. :)I'm not all that bold, but I'm not all that shy, either.

Yes, it's never been a revelation to me that women want men, too. It's what they (single, attached or married)want us for, that is the tricky bit. ;)

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr Harville Hendrix gives a whole new meaning to finding someone who 'completes' you.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pojan:

Yes, he does, doesn't he? But I'm sure everyone still prefers Tom Cruise's version. :)

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray, bro', you can't generalise on what women want. It depends on the person, the stage they are in life, their cultural upbringing, etc. Malaysian women are inhibited and very few, god forbid, are as open as Ning.

Indonesians do not hold themselves in check as much. Now you know why so many maids run away!

A colleague once had his maid run away. He told me that his family treated her well and they provided good living conditions with her own room and TV. He is a pious man and so must have provided a good Muslim environment, and their house is in a nice Shah Alam neighbourhood. He couldn't understand why she would run away "and probably living with a man in a construction site or run down squatter area".

Anyway a joke, here is the perfect husband from a woman's perspective:

There are several men in the locker room of a private club after exercising. Suddenly a cell phone that is on one of the benches rings. A man picks it up and the following conversation ensues:

- "Hello?"

- "Honey, It's me. Are you at the club?"

- "Yes."

- "Great! I am at the mall 2 blocks from where you are. I saw a beautiful mink coat... It is absolutely gorgeous!! Can I buy it?"

- "What's the price?"

- "Only $1,500.00"

- "Well, OK, go ahead and get, if you like it that much..."

- "Ahhh and I also stopped by the Mercedes dealership and saw the 2006 models. I saw one I really liked. I spoke with the salesman and he gave me a really good price ... and since we need to exchange the BMW that we bought last year..."

- "What price did he quote you?"

- "Only $60,000..."

- "OK, but for that price I want it with all the options."

- "Great! Before we hang up, something else..."

- "What?"

- "It might look like a lot, but I was reconciling your bank account and...I stopped by the real estate agent this morning and I saw the house we had looked at last year. It's on sale!! Remember? The one with a pool, English Garden, acre of park area, beach front property..."

- "How much are they asking?"

- "Only $450,000... a magnificent price, and I see that we have that much in the bank to cover..."

- "Well, than go ahead and buy it, but just bid $420,000. OK?"

- "OK, sweetie... Thanks! I'll see you later!! I love you!!!" - "Bye... I do too..."

The man hangs up, closes the phone's flap and raises his hand while holding the phone and asks to all those present:

"Does anyone know who this phone belongs to?

I will refrain from any x-rated posts. And they can become extremely xxx. I was never alim, but now am no longer "baik" ;)

11:10 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Babu:

Ahhahahhahaha. Good joke, Babu! Heart attack material for most husbands! ;)

As for baik and alim, who are we to judge, bro'? ;)

I've made more than my fair share of mistakes, too. Just trying to be a better man, from it.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni:

Great example to prove the Hendrix theory. (And no, it's not Jimmy - his theory was slightly different,..;))

And I hope to be as lucky as man, as Zee Laki is, one day. :)

Now all that I have to do is find another "non-conformist" woman like you, that wants to marry another "boring" man like me! ;)

Where there are successful precedents before you, there is still hope. :)

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home