Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Saturday, July 30, 2005

"Fall" - When Life Imitates Art

This is going to be a personal piece - so for those who can't tolerate reading my nonsense anymore, please don't read any further.

But I'd like to write this - because it is MY blog - and it serves to be therapeutic to me to write this, as opposed to putting up a strong front, just because the world feels that I should. Life should be more honest and simpler than that.

So, here goes my story.

After a long night of partying with Brian and some hot female company whom we introduced ourselves to, in Bar Savanh, I fell asleep in front of the TV out of exhaustion.

About less than 2 hours after I fell asleep, I accidentally woke up to see this amazing film called "Fall" on Star Movies.

It was a surreal experience. It was a story about a successful author who retired and became a cab driver, because he didn't like the person he had become and was struggling to hold on to what as real, in his life. And he fell for this model who was a married woman and not very happily married to a tycoon, who was uninspired, rigid and left her much to be desired, as far as the growth in the relationship was concerned.


I could relate to everything in that movie, almost identically - every single choice made (or not made), every single act of passion and loving to the fullest, her every fascination with the way he lived, loved and wrote, every single lie we tell to comfort ourselves about the future, every single cautious disbelief that love with such reckless abandon could last, every single hurt felt when you see the one you love whisper the words of love to another, every single denial about the affair in public, every single hope that Fate would be on your side and every single moment of faith that there was a reason, for which both of you were destined to meet and fall.

Even the movie ending was the same as the episode in my life - no sugar-coated Hollywood-styled reality. It was not a happy ending - but the sheer acceptance of reality by the cab driver, that she would never leave what she has, for love.

And amongst the last lines of his final letter to her, upon their separation, he said: "I know you will be OK and that given time, I will be okay too, one day. But I keep hoping that there will come a day, when you'll want to want to do this (the right thing) for you, and not for me. And that you'll say to me "catch me, baby" and you'll let yourself fall".

And at the end of the movie, there was a caption that said - "To the celebration of all slain hope." Indeed - that must have been the purpose behind the writer of the movie.

It was a dark movie and just like "Closer", it was a movie that didn't pretend to be anything else, other than reality.

And like reality - the endings are sometimes grim, but almost always laced with the strength of human resilience, to hope and continue and strive for the greater things in life - no matter how different or unorthodox it makes you, in the eyes of others. After all, it is YOUR life.

One day at a time - life will change for the better. And one day, when I wake up in the morning, it would be reality - and I wouldn't have to remind myself of this, anymore.

As I'm writing this, bluish tints of daylight is breaking through the window of my study. Good morning, everyone. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home