Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Friday, May 19, 2006

Just Reviews, Folks!

The DaVinci Code.

I never read the book. Perhaps, I'm the only person on the planet that did not. ;)

So, I'd have to rate the movie on its own. Although I'm feeling a little lazy to get into detailed mode this morning.

Overall, the acting wasn't great. Tom Hanks was a little deadpan and inanimate, Audrey Tautou was not entirely convincing. Jean Reno was okay. Paul Bettany shows a lot of potential for future heavy drama roles.

But the star of the day was Sir Ian McKellen. Yes, our dear Gandalf in Lord of The Rings. His performance as Professor Teabing was riveting.

But I found myself missing the point of the story. The central premise is that Jesus had a bloodline and descendants that has survived, till today. And that he was a man, not the son of God.

In Islam, the belief that Jesus (or Isa) is a prophet and is only a man, is well-established. Perhaps, that's why I found the premise, not very exciting. I mean if something was to shake the Vatican - it should have been the theory propounded in Islam, as opposed to a mere effeminate-looking character in a Da Vinci painting.

Or am I missing the point here? ;)

But yes, am looking to forward to the next X-Men movie. It'd be interesting to see how they portray Dark Phoenix in a movie, as opposed to a comic book. Though I've heard that Storm had a bigger part in the movie, on Halle Berry's request. Interesting.

*************************************************************

Next movie review, is on Man Laksa. A good attempt by Mamat Khalid, but somehow, the ingredients were not all there, to make a it a good Malay movie.

It reminded me of many Irish movies, where the story revolved around the local community. And where things are funny from everyday, ordinary reality stuff.

Yassin played his role brilliantly and confirmed my thoughts that he's the most talented of the Senario lot, as an actor. Sharifah Aleya was convincing, though strangely dressed. I found Harun Salim Bachik to be better in "Baik Punya Cilok" though. And they could have made better use of Saiful Apek.

And there's some brilliant new comic talents out there - like the guy who played P. Ramlee imitator - Hamdan Ramlee. He was hilarious!

But yes, looking at Mamat's work - Malaysian humour and comedies still has potential to make people laugh. Lots of potential. And the guy who played the MC to the Temasya Kampung Talang (I don't know what his name is) was typically funny. And Loloq had a few brilliant moments too!

And honestly, up till two-thirds of the movie, it was really looking quite good. But the problem with most Malay movie scripts has always been knowing how to end the story properly. I thought Mamat's choice was a cop-out.

But nevertheless, a good try and I look forward to more work from Mamat Khalid. He's a funny guy and he's got a lot more to give, I feel.

*************************************************************


Bought a copy of Siti Nurhaliza's latest album, "Transkripsi".

I was excited to see the outcome on this one, since she was working on this with the talented Aubrey Suwito - who is also responsible for Jaclyn Victor's "Gemilang" song.
And it also involved many other talents that used to do work for Sheila Majid like Mac Chew and Jenny Chin.

Transkripsi left me with mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I liked the materials in the "Prasasti Seni" album better. On the other, the songs in Transkripsi showed another side to Siti - one where she had to underplay her powerful vocals but where it gets displayed to good effect, anyway.

Nowhere is this more obvious than the second song in the album - "Biarlah Rahsia". The piano and violin accompanied acapella effect at the beginning of the song, was chilling - listen to this in a dark room and you will understand what I mean. Siti's rendition here was nothing short of poignant and heartfelt.

Perhaps, this has something to do with the fact that she wrote the lyrics and it seems like it reflects the current events in her life. One part of the lyrics touched me:

Pernahkah kau bermimpi seketika
Berada di tempatku



Overall, I felt that this album was a bit more "Indonesian-like" in its approach. This may have something to do with the fact that Melly Goeslaw did some of the tunes like "Biarlah Rahsia" and the unique "Pastikan" - which seemed slightly different than Siti's usual Malay ballad fare.

Glenn Fredly did another song for her called "Bila Harus Memilih", which was one of the better songs in this album.

And of course, the other ballad masterpiece was "Tanpa Dendam Di Hati" by Erwin Gutawa with lyrics by our own lyrical maestro - Habsah Hassan.

(Funnily enough, I fondly remember her from her work on the movie "Cinta Bukan Kristal" - who can forget Erma Fatima's famous line to that sleazy old man - "Rumah kata pergi, kubur kata mari!". It was just the way that Erma Fatima said it - brilliant! ;))


However, my favourite song in this album is not a ballad.

It's a fast song called "Intrig Cinta" where Siti had a hand in composing the tune from scratch, as opposed to the lyric-writing, which she's had some experience in, already.

Combined with great lyrics by the multi-talented Loloq (who convincingly played a Chinese contractor in "Man Laksa"), the song starts out slow and builds up nicely in the middle and towards the end, for that cheerful "Sunday morning effect". The inclusion of the Indian violin, made for nice bridge and ending, to this upbeat tempo tune.

But seriously, this song has the makings of a theme song for a romantic comedy. I can almost see and hear it at the end movie credits of a Aziz M. Osman or Afdlin Shauki movie. Especially where the beat starts to pick up and Siti shows off her superior vocals, towards the end.

(That's the imaginary movie producer in me, talking ;). Heh!)

Overall, it's a good album,. None of the songs are really bad, although some might feel a little unsuited to her. I feel that this album might do well in Indonesia, where they're more accustomed to the sort of materials produced.

This album will please Siti fans who want to see her branch out into uncharted waters - away from her "asli and balada Melayu" forte. Although I didn't enjoy this as much as I did "Prasasti Seni" - but I was pleased with Siti venturing into some new areas and to test her her abilities there.

A good singer is a versatile singer who doesn't get trapped in genres and keeps renewing the formula.

And if she keeps evolving from a great singer to a great songwriter, too - Siti Nurhaliza will keep dominating the music scene, for many years to come.

I have no doubts about that.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My response to seven star hand is....zzzzz

Firstly, Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction. Dan Brown never meant it to be an allegory of truth. Just like the popular "What If" comics that Marvel used to publish in the days of yesteryear, the premise is simple. What if the sacred Holy Grail in Christianity was not simply the cup in which Jesus drank at the last supper, but was instead a euphemism for a secret that the Church has been hiding for thousands of years. And the secret being Jesus had a bloodline through his marriage
to Mary Magdalene, the "sacred feminine" referred to in the painting.

Firstly, Da Vinci never lived in the time of Jesus. Therefore the last supper's hidden female symbolism was more a result of his homosexuality rather than anything else. Just like the theory about Mona Lisa actually being a self portrait of Leonardo, Dan Brown took a popular fable and spun it into a conspiracy yarn. Good for him.

What would been a heck lot more controversial is if Dan Brown took Mary out of the picture and stopped at the period in the novel which explained that the Emperor Constantine during his reign had actually imputed divinity to Jesus as a form of consolidation of power agains the pagans of that time. This..whether you realise it or not..would have put forward the theory that the entire Christian religion was a conspiracy and that Jesus was indeed mortal. Which is almost the same position as in Islam.

To the others whom haven't seen it, take my advice and pick up the novel instead. My bet is that the new X-Men movie and Man Laksa is more worth your time.

By the way, did you know that Mamat Khalid is Dato' Lat's brother? Although perhaps not as funny yet..

11:24 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Anonymous:

Sorry, but I've just deleted Seven Star's comment.

I thought that it was spam and I didn't anyone advocating a brand new religion on my blog. ;)

But thanks for your reply to Seven Star. Very interesting.

I have a copy of the book, but I just haven't picked it up to read, yet. I always have an easier time reading non-fiction.

Da Vinci was homosexual? How do we confirm this?

Mamat Khalid is Dato' Lat's brother? Cool!

Talent must really run in that family. They're naturally funny! :)

11:37 PM  
Blogger [V]landa said...

I havent read the book either.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read the book. It was good, except the ending was a bit disappointing for me. Dunno why, but I expected something else. Something bigger. What can be bigger than that? I don't know. haha. Anyway, it seems that almost everybody who watched Da Vinci Code the movie said that the movie doesnt do justice to the book. Even so, I still want to watch the movie myself.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Ylanda:

Welcome back! :) And good to see you again the other nite.

How come you didn't comment on Siti instead, huh? ;)


Pojan:

I would listen to Anonymous on this one. I think you'd be gravely disappointed with the movie, if you had read the book.

I didn't even read the book and I still thought that the movie "struggled" a little.


Noni:

I said that I would delete if the person was trying to introduce a new religion. Macam Ayah Pin and teapots in the sky stuff. ;)

Unless you nak jadi deviant and become Mak Pin-lah. ;)

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read the book. It was my first Dan Brown's book and hooked me enough to get the other three. I haven't seen the movie, and I probably won't until it goes into VCD/DVD mode anyway. I think I'll wait. The book is good enough for me, and I never pictured Mr Hanks playing Langdon. Macam tak kena jek. Haha.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take a listen to Siti's "Rupanya Kita Serupa" (Track no.9).

It's totally different from any of Siti's usual ballads. It has that jazzy feel to it. And boy, she is superb with the high tunes... I nak tercekik-cekik nyanyi lagu ni.

But that's my favourite song from "Transkripsi".

1:53 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Voice:

Who would YOU have picked to be Langdon, then? :)


_capri_:

Agree with you.

"Rupanya Kita Serupa" is certainly a departure from Siti's usual fare of songs. Cat Farish did a great job of pushing Siti into a new area here.

Personally, the arrangement is very jazzy and breezy.

At some parts, the music sounds like something Anita Baker or Patti Austin would sing to.

And I like the lyrics best. :)

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stingray,

Yup, that Cat dude is very good. And Siti's adventurous in trying out this kind of music.

Earlier, I didnt want to say that the music sounds like Anita Baker's coz she's my No.1 fav singer and to 'compare' her with Siti is just too much.. :-) But yes, that song ada 'bau-bau' Anita Baker. :-)

Aikk.. you like the lyrics? Hmm.. Hmm.. siapakah gerangan yang serupa dengan you itu?

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would picture someone like.. Michael Rosenbaum (Smallville's Lex Luthor). Or Matthew McConaughey (Sp?). Or if they can get away with it, Denzel Washington.

Heh.

2:47 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

_capri_:

Yes, comparing the great Anita Baker with the Siti of today, would be a bit too much.

I'll wait another 5 years, before I do so. ;)

As for the person yang serupa dengan I - as the song says it - "Biarlah Rahsia". ;)


Voice:

Langdon's a Professor of Symbology.

He can't be as good-looking as the people, you suggested.

If they looked like that - they'd be actors! ;)

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stingray,

To wait for another 5 yrs means from now on, CT has to sing R&B and jazzy songs only. Then only can be compared to my kak Anita Baker. :-D

Biarlah rahsia..? Hahahaha.. ok.. biarlah rahsia...

10:15 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Capri:

Leeee,..bila pulak you and Anita Baker jadi adik-beradik ni? ;) Ini Anita Baker keeee,..Anita BAKAR? ;D

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Encik, that's why you have to read the book. If there's one more thing Mr Brown is at fault for, his protagonists are all illustrated in the book as smart AND beautiful / handsome people. Even the professor of symbology. *grin*

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stingray,

Me and Anita Baker (bukan BAKAR ok..) is adik beradik, lain mak lain bapak.. hahahahah...

3:13 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Voice:

Sounds like Dan Brown is a shallow guy, too. ;)


_capri_:

I thought as much! Hahahaha!

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home