Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Monday, May 15, 2006

Evolution (Part 3)

A discussion with Azure (not his real name) on the night of Rizal's birthday party, got me thinking.

How far would I go, to stand up for something that I believe in? And to do what I think is right?

I'm not the sort who likes to look back in life and ask myself - what if?

As a result, I act very much on a combination of analysis, fairness, instinct and a clear conscience. That's usually good enough for me.

And where I'm wrong - I reflect on the course of action and I apologize (even publicly) when I'm in the wrong. And sometimes, even when I'm not - to avert worse consequences for the other.

But what happens when you take a stand on an issue and your stand has hurt the spectators, looking on? Especially, when the spectators is valued friend or acquaintance?

Is the most correct principle to keep quiet, so that other innocents are spared the splinters and richochets? Or do we just move forward and not really have to speculate, on the collateral damage, that we cannot anticipate?

I found myself contemplating that question when Azure related to me, that he was disappointed with my actions.

Even though he respected my stand and my own personal space to voice out my displeasure, on issues that are important - at least, for my generation.

And honestly, he would be one of the last people who I'd want to see being hurt in any way - I consider him a nice chap and a good friend. But I had to have my say on it - because I don't like looking back in regret.

And finding myself being silent on things which are important and which needs a balancing voice to irrationality. And bad conduct by elected leaders.

*********************************************************


I don't have all the answers, Azure. I respect the system enough - that I will play by it.

But whatever our capacities in an organization - be it a position holder or as an ordinary member - we have to play our role.

We make our choices and we have our own respective individual stands, on issues. Even a stand to keep quiet and do nothing - is a stand. And we bear the consequences of that stand - be it now or later.

I admire your courage in being the only one to own up, that you spoke to me. You have my respect on that one. Courage is a rare virtue, nowadays - in an age of false leaders, where organizations are not used to serve the interest of its members or the public interest.

It's not because of playing politics that I took a stand, my friend. I have nothing to gain from this.

I have never clamoured for position, power or privilege - you know me better than that. It'll only be firewood in the next life - when we're held responsible for those we lead.

And I have enough firewood of my own to deal with, right now - without even having to lead anyone else. But I am sorry that you got hurt, in the process and I'm even more sorry, if my actions indirectly led to it.

To each, his own intentions. In words and deeds.

God knows better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home