Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Monday, May 15, 2006

The Gamble/A Week of Offers

Have just received a call on a job offer with a global MNC, that's a household name. It's a great job offer and the pay package is good.

But that'll be the 2nd job offer by a big MNC, that I'm not considering, in the last 1 year.

I referred them to another person, whom I thought had the potential to fit the profile, perfectly - if she was willing to work on it. Call it a part of the perks of being my ex-girlfriend.


There was another great offer that I turned down flat, last year - even with good pay package, perks and prospects.

There are times that I wonder, whether I will regret turning down these great career offers - and perhaps, never exploring the career, life and potential affluence that I could have had.

My life could be very different, from what it is, right now. In a lot of ways. Sometimes, I wonder whether I just have a penchant for taking the harder path.


But I've been working on this venture for the last one year now - and it's coming very close to fruition. I need to see this through. It's my baby and it still has all the potential to more than compensate, for the lucrative offers that I've turned down. If all goes well, of course.

And I enjoy the freedom of being an entrepreneur. The freedom to speak out on issues, without shackles or fear of repercussions. The joy of building something from concept to commercialization to growth.

The toil, the pitching to investors, the joy of clinching your first investment deal and thereafter, your next one and the satisfaction of a breakthrough, in each stage. It's fun.


Yes, there are risks. Yes, it can be scary - when things don't look so good. Yes, it's a great big gamble and major opportunity costs in the career path not taken.

But for now - this is the road I'm sticking my neck out on. This is where I want to be and where I shall build my foundation, for future wealth. I still have a lot of faith, that it will succeed.

It's a gamble - hopefully, with no future regrets.

**************************************************

A few days ago, a very different sort of offer came from one of the blog readers. It was indeed, a pleasant surprise - in this case, both the reader and the offer.

I'm honoured that you're reading, Sir. And thank you for thinking of me, being worthy of the privilege. If there is a fit, I'll gladly consider giving it a shot - if your company thinks I deserve a wider audience.

It's been a great week of offers, so far. :) Alhamdulillah!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

STINGRAY! There are times when I feel like I want to pack you up in a box and send you for reconfiguration.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Xena:

Yeah. I'm a defective product in that way. ;)

10:31 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

can i be your ex-girlfriend?

12:08 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Babe:

It doesn't work like that. The cart must come before the horse, maaaa.

Ask me the next question, then.;) Haha!

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray, whilst I do like reading most of your postings, this last one untypically seems to be somewhat of a boast.

Not many of us have the luxury of turning down megabucks job offers from glamorous companies like you do. Being single, without children and a car to service may give one the freedom to make such a decision.

I'm sorry if this post offends as it is not meant to. You can't be reading nice and flattering things about you all the time from your fellow bloggers. I just hope you spare a thought for us lesser people out there, that's all..

11:38 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Anonymous:

Am sorry if it sounds like a boast, it's not meant to be so.

And yes, you're right - I do have more options, being a single person without dependants or parents.

Furthermore, I live a pretty frugal life - I'm not one for flashy cars and clothes.

It's not my choice to not have a family - but I guess some things come later to me, than others.

Children are a blessing too, you know - but I don't accuse other people of bragging about it, to people who don't have any.

We are all luckier than others in some ways or another. It's just how you measure the worth of things, in your own individual eyes.

But I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else, out there. I did not mean to - I was just sharing my story, like I always do.

To me, there is no lesser people - everyone has their own respective roadmaps, choices, providence and burdens - be it physical, financial or emotional.

As my pet brother used to say, God is fair in that way - no one gets 100% of everything. Lebih kat sini, kurang kat situ.

All men are created equally imperfect. In that sense, no one is really lesser than another - other than in his taqwa or subservience to God.

No other measure really matters. It's likely to be false.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stingray,

I want to be my own boss but I suppose God has not grant me that opportunity yet. Still praying for the opportunity.

I dont want to work for other people until I retire. I hate office politics and I am fed-up being confined to a certain working hours.

Being your own boss, you strive because you know if you dont work hard, you wont progress. So there's the constant motivation. You do things for YOU. At the end of the day, the self-satisfaction is priceless.

So dude, all the best to you!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

_capri_:

One thing I've learned - you've got to do what you're good and what suits you best.

There are many pitfalls and hardships in entrepreneurship that people don't see.

Sometimes, you have to make sure that you pay the salaries of others and you haven't been paid yourself, for close to one year.

Sometimes, you choose bad partners that only know how to spend money lavishly but doesn't know how to bring it in.

Sometimes, you fail. And you're broke. And you're in a very scary place.

Sometimes, you bounce back for a 2nd try. Sometimes, you don't.

Sometimes, you break into cold sweat and have nightmares at night, for the bills and dues that cannot be paid.

If you want to be your own boss, you first have to be willing to be your own slave. And perhaps, end up getting treated like one.

You have to have the stomach for it and to take big, but calculated risks.

You have to be prepared to pay a huge price for your mistakes, sometimes.

You have to be prepared to live below your means, even when other friends are driving their flashy cars, around town.

Yes, the self-satisfaction is priceless when you succeed. But when you fail, the self-blame and self-doubt can be equally traumatizing.

And when you have a family and a bunch of workers that relies on you, it could be quite damaging to your self-esteem.

I think entrepreneurship is at least, 20% insanity. Think carefully before you jump in.

That's the advice I never got. And it's been both a curse and a blessing.

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home