Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Singles

I'm about 14 years late, in catching this movie.

But on Acat's strong persuasion and with The Boys strongly agreeing with him, I thought I'd invest 2 hours of my time, watching a 1992 movie called "Singles".


As the name implies, the story is about single people - the many types of them, the various dilemmas that they face in their solitary lives and the complexities involved in their relationships.

And I must say I'm glad Acat persuaded me to watch the DVD. It's highly entertaining and has all the rare elements of a good thinking movie - brutally honest, asked a lot of questions, provides a lot of interesting observations, does not pretend to have all the answers, sweet, humourous, vulnerable yet funny.

Anyone whose been single would be able to identify with the issues that the characters faced. And yes, I could identify with one of the characters in there, especially.

And almost all of the star-studded cast have gone on to do bigger things since then - Matt Dillon, (recently nominated for an Academy Award for his role in "Crash") Bridget Fonda, Scott Campbell (of "Dying Young" fame), Kyra Sedgwick (or the prettier half of Kevin Bacon's family) and Sheila Kelly (who had a stint in LA Law).

To anyone who hasn't watched it yet - I'm a "Singles" convert now and like Acat, I'd totally recommend it. It's a good 2-hour investment on a comfy couch.

Personally, I think I should have watched it earlier. Thanks Acat, for pushing me to watch this! :)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Singles?

This is the movie well known for its excellent soundtrack featuring ALice in Chains and Pearl Jam. If you notice, the movie was set in Seattle during the beginning of the grunge scene in the early 90's. Therefore the movie has become somewhat of an iconic emblem for the grunge era.

What great years the 90's were...

10:30 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Anonymous:

Yep, I noticed. The music featured in the movie was catchy and familiar.

And yes, the 90's were great. :)

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I nak tengok! Boleh pinjam ke? :P
On a movie marathon streak now...but have to sort out PC prob first...errgh :(

8:28 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Clarissa:

Have to ask a friend, first. It's on loan from him. :)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Mme RoSsé said...

Good choice of 90's. Reality Bites is nice too.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Dame Rosse:

Yep, I loved "Reality Bites"! :)

6:46 AM  
Blogger Azmir Ismail said...

I loved the flick. Where did he find it eh ?

Its cool for its grunge stuff and the relationship issues it explored.

Reality bites rocked too :-)

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little late for me to post this comment and it seems I just might be a little older than your regular group of friends who post comments...but you just might enjoy another movie which moves softly and lightly, almost dream like...its called "Still Breathing" --the music is also a perfectly attached to the visual effect of the movie.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home