Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Friday, August 18, 2006

Never Say Goodbye

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (which means "Never Say Goodbye" in Hindi) is the superbly talented Karan Johar's latest movie.

(For those not in the know, Karan Johar is one of the most talented directors in Bollywood and ranks up there with the likes of Yash Chopra and Sanjay Leela Bansali. Karan is also the host of the popular talk show "Coffee with Karan")

And I dare say, it's his best movie so far, after "Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham" and "Kal Ho Naa Ho". The screen chemistry between Shah Rukh Khan and my favourite Hindi actress, Rani Mukherjee, was absolutely sizzling. And the supporting cast of Amitabh Bachchan, Abishek Bachchan and the sultry Preity Zinta made a splendid trio, too.

Of all the Hindi movies I've ever watched in my life, THIS is the movie that I identified with the most. Most of the feelings, issues and dilemmas highlighted in the exquisite storytelling were all too familiar.

And it made me realize 2 things.

First, that the only thing scarier than stepping into a marriage for me - is stepping into a second marriage, after my first one has failed.

You're a lot more cautious the 2nd time round - you second guess all of your own judgements and you rely a lot less on your faith in the future and more on the degree of certainty, in the present. The anxiety of having to get it absolutely right, is nothing short of murder.

Secondly, as Xena had said it after watching the movie - one should always remember lessons from past mistakes, so as not to repeat them.

Once you know yourself and your own true nature, have the courage to follow through on what you already know - and resist the temptation to compromise for less. It will only lead to sadness for all, in the long run.

Hindi movies today (especially the ones made by Karan Johar) are closer to realities in life, than you think.

Definitely, a case of art imitating life.

***********************************************

At many junctures in my life, I have chosen to be unorthodox in my approach towards life. Sometimes, I reject the mainstream way of doing things because I derive much pleasure and spiritual and emotional nourishment from breaking the mould.

But sometimes, I wonder whether my choices have cornered me.

Yes, I'm happy with being different - but will my loved ones ever understand my choices? Or more importantly, will they accept it? Does truth override perception? Does sincerity of friendship overcome public pressure to conform - of being told by others who are more lost than you are, that there is a "right" way of doing things?

Going against the grain, always has a price to be paid - usually, a personal one.

Sometimes, I feel that the lives of those who are never filled with a desire to fight the tide, are blessed. They will always be mainstream, they will always be approved of. They will always make money, by going with the flow - whatever its wider implications to others.

And best of all, they never know what they've missed by being in the mainstream.

Me? I enjoy being on the on the non-mainstream fringe.

Where the texture of life is different, richer on many different levels, more colourful and passionate. Where you live by your own measure and try to not get bogged down by expectations of loved ones and society and the pressure of conformity.

But being different isn't always easy. If you choose to be different - be prepared that one day, your values will be questioned and challenged by the majority who think that there is only one viewpoint that's correct.

In the world of black and grey, there is no space for rainbow colours.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Count,
You might want to change the tagline sentences under your blog title as well, if you're avoiding detection of IT-savvy people. Heh.

Thanks for including me. A pleasant surprise and I'm touched to be considered as one of the 'enrichments' in your life. Keep on writing!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, I am here... yes dear, as Suara (very creative Suara on your change of name, heh!) pointed out, do change your tagline.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and aren't you changing your nick as well...

8:55 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Suara:

Voice - welcome to the new site! It's less lonely here already. :)

And thanks for the tip. :)

Although I think I'm too attached to the tagline to let it go. :(

There's so much I've already had to give up, due to the unthinking action of some others.

Oh well,....life moves on,....


Xena:

Hey, thanks for dropping by. I think I've changed all I want to change on this blog. It hurts to change too much, with what feels like home. :(

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xena - since the tide is changing, might as well go with the flow ;-)

Tuan Rumah - it's a blessing in disguise, InsyaAllah. of course, some things we want to preserve. take care!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Mme RoSsé said...

pardonne moi.
at first i thought u signed off as the count of monte crisco.

people change. or else life is mundane.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Suara:

Trying my best to look at it, as a blessing in disguise. But sometimes, it's tough. :(


Dame Rosse:

Yes, people do change on you.

Sometimes, due to my faith in people, I realize too late that goodwill and honour is not always reciprocated in a friendship.

But we move on,...older and wiser, hopefully.

8:19 PM  
Blogger lita said...

am honoured to be included : )

i see you can't let go of the name 'ray either...

hey, let me know if you want raya cookies this year, ok?! ; )

8:24 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Lita:

Nak! Nak! Nak! Your Raya cookies are great, dear! :)

You having another open house, dear?

8:35 PM  
Blogger Mme RoSsé said...

dear count...
bila nak tehtarik aaahhhh...
zidane pun dah balik negeri.
tehtarik sapdamaaaa

9:59 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Rosse:

Oiii, stop calling me Count lah.

Teh tarik, next week, can ah? :) Sorry, long overdue on that promise.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Mme RoSsé said...

excusi moi,
the count is my fav character on sesame street... muahaha
ok lah sir, merdeka week we do tehtarik on the rocks.

8:03 PM  
Blogger lita said...

cookies comin' right up!

and yes, insyaallah will have open house again this year.

you know the dress code, right...? ; )

8:04 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Dame Rosse:

Ok, Merdeka week it is, then. You like the Count is Sesame Street? But he's a blood sucker! ;)


Lita:

Yeayyyy! Dapat Lita's cookies! :)

The dress code is the easy part - it's the reaching your house part, that's tough! :)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni:

Welcome back, anak Pak Samad. :) You've been quiet,....hope all is well with you. :)

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home