Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Happiness Defined

Friday prayers 2 days ago was interesting in Kampung Melayu Subang. The topic of the khutbah, was Happiness, both in this world and the next.

I was particularly interested when the khatib quoted a hadith from the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. that said something like: "Happiness in this world to a man, is 4 things - a good wife, good and obedient children, good friends and acquaintances and the ability to make a living in his own country".

I thought it's interesting that it is the simplest things in life, that Prophet had mentioned, that ensures a man's happiness - family, friends and work. It occurred to me that based on that criteria, many in Malaysia would be able to achieve happiness. Theoretically speaking.

I'm about 50% away from there. :) But my time will come soon, God willing. Sometimes, the simplest of things comes the hardest for some people. But we have to be patient - and it helps to know what it is, that we're looking for.

And what better way, than to have it defined, upfront. More things in Life, should be like that. :)

9 Comments:

Blogger LastJan said...

What happiness is differs from man to man. Just as what a man's perception of a good wife, good and obedient children, good friends and what defines "making a living" differs from man to man.

Search for the meaning of happiness within, before you venture to seek happiness from the people and things around you.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

I have, LastJan. But I think I've come to the limit of the happiness that I can derive alone, without a wife and family. Those are the things that I want in the future and I'm very clear on that.

Point noted, that we all have different interpretations and thresholds within the 4 categories, that the Prophet mentioned. I think it was meant to be a general guiding rule and not a strait-jacket. To each his own, of course - as the Malay saying goes - "ukur baju di badan sendiri".

12:54 AM  
Blogger LastJan said...

Sometimes you will only find what you are looking for when you stop looking. :-)

6:20 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Have tried that too. Tried looking, tried not looking and now, I'm trying to pretend that I'm not looking. ;)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Voice said...

1) Tried looking.
2) Tried not looking.
3) Tried pretending to not looking.
Cannot 'try pretending to looking' because that would be a negative(negative) thing.

Of all the trials, I like the ups and downs of number 1 best, because at least I was being honest with myself.

Now I guess I'm just losing it because I don't know what is it that I'm trying to do between 1 to 3 anymore. The fear of pain of rejection is getting unbearable.
Heh.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Voice! Great to hear from you again! :) Where have you been?

I do understand what you mean, by the fear of rejection - I never seem to be good enough for the people I want. :( But usually, the fear of rejection is overcome by the fear of ending up alone, for the rest of my life.

Personally, I'd rather hurt and know that I'm alive than to stop trying and die inside, before my time.

And if all else fails, go visit Master Chin. He'll push all the right buttons on you and say that you'll remarry by 35. Hahahaha!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Voice said...

I'm around, only if you stop by my blog you'll know why I've been quite quiet. Here you go, just in case you want to drop by: http://www.voicefromwithin.net/blog ;)

btw, who on earth is Master Chin, pray tell? can he say that I will marry before I'm 30? ;)

5:57 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Hey Voice!

Thanks for the blog address. Made for interesting reading. Sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit burnt out lately. Usually happens with long hours, don't worry - that's normal. :)

Master Chin is into Palmistry and reading of Tarot cards,in a booth that is sometimes parked, in Bangsar Shopping Centre.

I don't believe much of what he says (especially about the future - like I will remarry at 35, from someone outside of the state or country) - but the character analysis part, is a not-to-miss.

Maybe our hands and features do readily tell a story about ourselves - more than we'd like to admit. :)

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello fellow blogger,

If you were asked what you had done today to bring yourself closer to your goals for tomorrow, would you have an answer?

If you can’t think of anything you really should visit personal development
and read all the FREE and powerful information on goal setting.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home