Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Not Just Pretty in Pink

Mr. Italiano and I had a good karaoke session yesterday, with two princesses. Well, they were more like Puteri UMNO people. From what was evident from the designation their name cards, they were holding pretty prominent posts in Puteri UMNO.

I must admit, that very few Puteri UMNO people I've met have impressed me. But these two did, though not through their vocal prowess in karaoke-lah. ;)

They managed to slot in some R&R time with us, between UMNO functions which they had to attend, in both day and night. I was amazed at their stamina - one of them, (let's call her FutureHope) just drove back from a function in JB, which started at 7.30 in the morning. The other one (let's call TallChick), was rushing to her 3rd function of the day and they were all UMNO-related.


FutureHope asked me that tricky question: why are you not an UMNO member? She lamented the fact that many young professionals nowadays did not get directly involved in politics and yet, were still critical of the issues of the day, without doing anything about it

I told her that I was not directly involved in politics and am not a member of ANY party. But I have been doing my part for my industry and the country, via an NGO, for the last 3-4 years or so.

She didn't quit on that trail. She asked me again: why can't you be a member of both? After all, she is, she said.

I gave her two reasons, in my case - that it's difficult to be impartial on issues in an NGO, if you have a political affiliation, interest or loyalty. In a situation of conflict, where does your loyalty lie? To your party or to the members of your NGO? It's a difficult place to be.

And secondly, I don't identify with most of the Pemuda UMNO members that I've met so far. Attitude and outlook-wise, we were worlds apart - in general. Of course, there are always exceptions, to the rule - but I felt that they didn't reflect the majority.

FutureHope didn't agree with me - but she relented, for the while. Especially after I said that my NGO was more than willing to provide feedback to Puteri UMNO on some of the issues. I knew that she was still trying to get me to sign up, as an UMNO member. I diverted the attention to Mr. Italiano, hoping that she will bug him, instead and take the heat off me.

To my great horror, Mr. Italiano said that he had already been an UMNO member since 1990's. Something about Cawangan Jalan Universiti. Mama-mia! I joked with FutureHope that if I could join Puteri UMNO as a male associate member, I would! :)

But I saw hope, in the likes and calibre of FutureHope. She was 3rd generation UMNO from a prominent UMNO family in Perak, certainly different from the "green" Puteri stalwarts, I've come across.

It's in her blood, it's in her value system - she understands the political way of life. She understands the "perjuangan" - that there is still much to do for the Malays to catch up in their own country and we have to do our part. She emphasized that in UMNO - it is the kaum ibu who are always selfless in their duties to the part. The men would hardly "turun padang" - unless there were direct financial rewards or recognition. But sometimes, it is a thankless job for the womenfolk.

She breathed the intensity of someone, who has a date with destiny and leadership. Intelligent, well-qualified, confident, forthright, determined and carrying a healthy balance between UMNO-bias and a sense of objectivity about what's wrong with UMNO and what needs to change. In my assessment - she was certainly leadership material for Puteri UMNO and beyond that, Wanita UMNO perhaps, one day.

When both girls were asked why they were single - the reply was the same - "there's no time!". Between their daily jobs and their responsibilities in Puteri UMNO, they were all packed out - their weekends were virtually forfeited. But they always try to make time for fun - like they did in karaoke, with us.

Young, dedicated, dynamic and determined - and due to the lower-age limit in Puteri UMNO (at 35 years old, Pemuda UMNO is 40), the young ones do have more of a say on the Puteri UMNO platform, even if they're only in their late 20's.

Perhaps, there is some hope within UMNO after all, for a substantive culture change. And I wouldn't be surprised if the women in Wanita and Puteri UMNO, were the ones to initiate and lead it. To modify an old cliche - If the children are our future, then the women, must be our present.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home