Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Repeated Mirages of the Heart

It's 4.30 a.m. in the morning. I'm wide awake, asking myself some really hard questions.

I'm questioning my good judgment on people's characters - could I have been SO wrong? Was there any justification in the faith that I had put in you - or was I clouded by what I wished to see?

In a sense, I felt I knew you best - where the others did not. My judgment should be based on what I saw and felt - for the others, did not know you. Even the benefit of the doubt, that I gave you. The faith and belief that I put in your loving words and gestures. It made me believe in us - in the possibility of our future together.

Did I delude myself? Were you just playing me out? Are you keeping your options open?

Matters of the heart, were always clear to me. My choices were always full of clarity - the only times I've gone wrong is when I've ignored the choice and will of my heart. But I always knew what I wanted in my heart, when I listened to it.

But I thought, that perhaps, that it's different for other people. Maybe they don't trust the judgment of their hearts. Maybe they're a bit more practical - maybe their minds always overcame - even in matters of the heart. Maybe they've grown up believing that happiness is this middle road between contentment and stagnation, in their relationships - not entirely happy, but stable in its inadequacy.

After all, cynics are never wrong. They don't leave any space for their judgment to be wrong - any ill-fated event is expected and any form of joy, is just an exception to the rule.

But surely, there must be characteristics common, to all things called love.

When you say you love someone, there must be a degree of respect, loyalty and exclusivity. There must be a deeper certainty, beyond the type of day-to-day niggling doubts that we may face in our professional or working life. There must be a feeling that you don't want to be with anyone else - and hurting the other person is anathema to you.

Do all people love the same way? Or is it open-ended for some of us?

To say I love you - even when I can't commit or till I don't. That I'm loyal to you - when the circumstances allows for it. That I'll commit to you - when I bloody well feel darn ready - and before that, please don't take my expressions of affection and dreams of the future, seriously - I'm just going with the thrill of the moment.

And that you'd just have to share my love with another, until I decide whether I should commit to you. Perhaps, on the pretext that it's the fairest thing to do, for all parties. Please don't get hurt - it's not personal - it's just the "professional" thing to do.

Could it be that some of us can only love (or claim to love) in a cold, unconscionable, heartless manner? Where the "I" comes much further ahead than the "we?"? Or even "you that I love?"

Is there nothing anymore, that's sacrosanct? Has love, respect, loyalty and consideration become negotiable nowadays, to some of us? A cheap commodity that's available anywhere?

Deep down inside of me, I know that these values are non-negotiable. For anyone.

Was there any part of your love that was true? When we sat down and discussed future possibilities of family, children and growing old together? Was any part of that real - or were you just keeping me "warm" - to exercise the option, should you decide to? A spare tyre, when your notions of the adequacy of a loveless stability is punctured, with another?

Does it not hurt you, when you hurt me like this? Or it this all part and parcel of what you think maturity is, in the real world?

Was there really any real chance between us? Did you believe so? Or were just playing with me - letting on me build on my willful mirage? A mirage that came repeatedly, too - like a broken record, as one of my friends would say.

I quiver inside, at the thought, that I could I have been SO wrong about you. :( The evidence, seems to incontrovertibly, point that way. And nothing but my deep faith and love in you, keeps me from believing otherwise.

God Almighty, give the truth the strength to surface. And take away this willful mirage from me, if my faith in her, has been misplaced. Perhaps, my eyes and judgment, are as blind as her heart.

I hope not.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen this been played out before. Not as a participant, perhaps, but definitely as a bystander who got sucked in. While I am not saying that your story is in any way similar to what I went through and saw, it certainly rings bells that are loud and clear. But the story is too long for this. Perhaps the conversation should wait.

Just be careful.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

You know, 3 am (and its vicinities) isn't called the witching hour for nothing. I think our judgement and perspective tend to disappear at that particular time, exposing and magnifying all our fears, worries and neuroses. Optimism gives way to pessimism and all faith in humanity is lost.

That said, perhaps you should have that conversation with MzMin, who has basically seen it all in the field of man-eaterism. And I dedicate this poem to you with the message, chin up- even the Chunnel ends in light (or Waterloo/Gare Du Nord, hurrah!) *grin*:

Archetypal Gossip
They sing songs about you, you know
Paeans and dirges, some good,
others bad,
nauseatingly so.
Extolling your wit, charm, grace, beauty
I could go on, but that would be
redundant.

They call you names, you know
Like Helen or Cleopatra, all those
sisters under flawless
skins.
Pedestals are built,
each one more grandiose
than the last,
only for you to
trample,
each one more carelessly
than the last.

They kill or be killed for you, you know
In agonies of rapture, for just one, swift
lick
from your blue-flame eyes.
To have you wrap them
around one perfectly manicured
little finger,
Play walk-the-dog, or any of those
tricks you have
up your immaculate sleeve.

They become cannibals for you, you know
You prise their hearts out, with
surgical precision.
Feed it to them, with a
side-order of pride, and a
lemon dressing, very nouvelle fusion chic.

They become animals for you, you know.
Silver-tongued dogs, you keep them]as pets.
Laugh when you tickle, grin when you
spay, and when
they bore you, they don't come back
from the vet.

They think I know you, you know
Having seen our heads together, in
supposed confabulation.
I do apologise,
madam.
I never meant for them to
think that,
I talk far too much,
just as you said.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The truth will prevail when one is ready to see the truth for what it really is. And the truth will come out when it knows that while it shall hit one with an unbeatable force,it will bring out the strength in one to move forward and carry on. Scars and all.

I pray for the truth to bring out the strength in you.

11:04 PM  
Blogger LastJan said...

Love is not only blind but it also blinds. It is all too clear that this love you feel has not be fairly reciprocated. Do not be blind to this and move on. Choose to see her for who she is, not for who you thought she was, as you saw her through love-coloured lenses.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shame on you for being fooled twice, but three times?! four times?!

gotta start using your head, boy! this is getting pathetic.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shame on you for being fooled twice, but three times?! four times?!

gotta start using your head, boy! this is getting pathetic.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shame on you for being fooled twice, but three times?! four times?!

gotta start using your head, boy! this is getting pathetic.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home