Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Parliament House - What a Buzz!

Najah told me that I should start writing, about something more upbeat. I agree. I think I want to get off matters of the heart for a while. A long while.

So, I'm going to tell you about the session I had in Parliament House yesterday. It gave me an absolute buzz!

A few days back, I was invited by Dato' Role Model to a meeting headed by one of the Backbencher's Club bureaus in Parliament - to represent the state of my industry and to highlight how the Government can help out.

I was pretty excited - the Backbenchers Club was full of Members of Parliament who were without Executive posts in the Government. Theoretically (though not really in all cases), they were supposed to be impartial on issues and represented the internal check and balance for the Government, within Parliament.

It was a chance for me and my organization, to help our elected representatives highlight and focus on key policy and implementation issues and measures to be taken, in my industry to Parliament or the right people within Government.

As I stepped into Parliament House during late morning yesterday, the place was a hive of activity. On my left was the Parliament Coffee House and on my right was a row of posh-looking leather seats where the MPs or any other relevant parties could discuss the issues of the day. On the left upper walls, were the portraits of the previous Agongs and on the right upper walls, there were portraits of previous political leaders.

Ever since I was a kid, I always had a knack for remembering the names and faces of people who were involved in the Government, policy or corporate circles. I'm not quite sure why (probably, it was the geek in me) - but I liked remembering people's names, faces, who they were, what they did and what they said.

So, walking in Parliament House, was particularly interesting to me. The in-house Parliament TV was blaring, with the debates going on within Dewan Rakyat. I saw Dato' Zaid Ibrahim, the MP for Kota Bharu, who usually represents the more liberal views within the party.

I saw Dato Awang Adek Hussein, former BNM rising star, now the 2nd most powerful politician in Kelantan. He was sitting in the luxurious Coffee House, watching the debates intently on TV, with a few other MPs. Dato' Seri Samy Vellu and his MIC posse breezed by, smiling and shaking hands with the MPs that walked up to him.

I saw Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor, a very strong Mahathir loyalist and UMNO stalwart and a prominent director in Berjaya Group, under Tan Sri Vincent Tan. I can't remember whether he's holding a Cabinet post now, he might be.

I saw YB Wong Nai Chee, "Giantkiller" MP of Kota Melaka who had defeated the former DAP Secretary General, Kerk Kim Hock and sent him packing into political retirement. He greeted me with warmth, as just 2 nights before, we were at the same Roundtable, where I was moderating a session on the issue of "Sekolah Kebangsaan and Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina". The Roundtable was fantastic, but that's a story for another day.

Immaculately dressed political secretaries/special assistants were shuffling along the walkway, busy preparing stuff for their Ministers. Some of them were certainly better dressed than their Ministers. :)

One of them recognized me and stopped to ask, what I was doing there. His Minister almost offered me a Special Assistant post - but I was too outspoken for the Minister's liking. Perhaps, it was because I would have preferred the Minister's job.

Some friends from the local press were also there, to cover Dato' Khaled Nordin's announcement on bus and taxi fares.

Dato Role Model said to me, "You know, Stingray, like you there are lobbyists here too. There's even an informal lobbyist corner in the coffee house. But the difference is: you're a lobbyist for the common good, they are lobbyists for their personal good". I chuckled. Dato Role Model was always very generous with compliments.

It wasn't long before the Chairman of the Bureau came along. He was not very tall, but elderly and distinguished looking. Dato' Role Model introduced me to him and together with another professor from a local university, we proceeded to the coffee house.

All this time, I noticed how much I felt, like I belonged in these circles. It was all familiar - like coming home. It's just that they were older than me - but some of them, were the same type of people. Passionate and concerned on where this country was going.

Sitting ourselves in a corner, armed with a cup of coffee and teh tarik each, the Chairman swiftly began the meeting. He was requesting that I do a presentation on the state of the industry about 2 weeks from now to the Bureau and the 8-9 Members of Parliament that might be involved. To highlight the issues that the MPs could bring up to the Government and help resolve.

A short while later, Dato' Southern Star, one of the up and coming UMNO Youth MPs, joined the meeting. I was pleased to have someone in my age group (well actually, about 7 years older lah) in Parliament. Somewhere along the way, Dato' Southern Star and I, got embroiled in a heated debate about the Program and whether the Government has role to play in innovation funding.

The Bureau members were enjoying themselves, silently staying on the sidelines as spectators - waiting to see the outcome of the debate. Dato' Southern Star was an accountant by background, and he was naturally conservative about the way Government monies should be spent, arguing that organizations like MIMOS had drowned out billions in taxpayer's money, with not very much to show.

I agreed with him that most of the innovation policy problems in Malaysia centres around poor implementation. He was spot on, on that one. But what we need are better (perhaps, private sector) implementors, not to shy away from policy measures which other East Asian countries are proactively doing. And succeeding at it, too. We can't afford to get left behind.

Of course, the context in every country differs according to culture, status of development, level of educational development, level of innovation linkages, IP registration systems, etc. but the factors to make effective innovation work, are the same, the world over. It's a matter of tailoring it, to local conditions.

I've done it before with the Program - while the Company was still run by professionals and not cowardly politically-appointed idiots, like it is now.

The debate ended up in draw of sorts. I couldn't be as transparent as I would like to be, because I had to keep mum over the Even Bigger Program by Rock Solid Partner, soon to be launched in the middle of the year.

To disclose it now, would be to put it at risk - of political intervention. The industry could not afford that. We already made the mistake of over-lobbying the last time round - which resulted in the birth and the fall, of the Program. I had learnt my lesson - so, I kept my mouth shut. Better to draw the battle, and to win the war.

The Minister who almost hired me dropped by at our corner to say hello to everyone, including me. He was surprised to see me there, but there was certainly an approving look. The Bureau was a bit surprised that the Minister talked to me, but I just smiled quietly. Let them keep guessing. ;)

The discussion ended after an hour, or so. The Chairman and I had good chemistry and thank God, he wasn't one of these patronizing types, who judged a person by his age. Dato' Role Model was pleased that I spoke up and had argued convincingly against Dato' Southern Star - it justified him, bringing me in.

I've never liked party politics in Malaysia - it's too narrow (people takes sides on party lines, not issues) for my taste and I can't possibly fit in. This, even though almost 100% of my friends, think I should be politics. (I don't know whether to take it as a compliment or as an insult ;) Haha!)

But I always harboured a secret desire, to be a Senator, in Dewan Negara, one day. Maybe this would be my first foray, into the Legislative arm of the Malaysian Government. Hopefully.

But I reminded myself as I walked out of Parliament House - that one should not seek power, as power is a responsibility to the people. If you are deserving, power will make its way to you. If not, then it was never meant to be yours in the first place. You would not want to be answerable, for something that you don't deserve.

This attitude will probably not get me very far, but I'd just like to see how far I can go, without compromising or selling out, on my principles. It's sad to see some of my peers in the political world, already selling out now - on their principles and their people. How soon they forget, what they used to abhor. Perhaps, that's why I still stay on the NGO side of the world.

We'll see. But for now, let's enjoy being part of the legislative process. There is much to learn, and much more to contribute. May I be given the time, to do both.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

True politicians are borne from a need to serve the people and make the world a better place to live in. Unfortunately, politicians nowadays serve their own interest instead of the general interest. Whether this will improve is the thing. If it doesn't, those with integrity who we need as leaders will shy away because they have scruples.

Hope you're doing okay.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents were GPMS active members back in their campus days, and during my early years I remembered often tagging along to functions involving the circle (which eventually evolves into a political circle). However, my parents never influence me into getting involved.

And now that they keep in touch with the circle purely on friendship basis (which sadly doesn't warrant frequent meeting up apart from formal Raya open house and majlis berbuka puasa), the exposure dwindles. To be honest I'm not interested. Somehow I stereotype politicians with dishonesty.

Hence, it is enlightening to read your efforts and your hope, and your firm resolution to stick to your principles and integrity. If there's anyone who could do it in that world, it would be you.

Keep it up, and restore the hope of the likes of me, in the representatives and the system.

4:28 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Min:

That's the difference between a politician and a statesman. Too many of the former and too few of the latter, in our system today.

Voice:

Good to hear from you again. Been a relatively long silence (in blog years).

I don't know whether I can restore your hope and faith in the system, but I believe that every little thing we do to make things right, will make a difference to someone out there.

And the knock-on effect will start from there, to ensure that some good remains within the system.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stingray,

In response to your comment about my relative silence, yes. I admit it. But I've been reading silently.

I did not have the words that feel right to my own ears, to console you through the dark days. I just hope that my prayers for you are heard, somewhere up there.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! Stingray, your blog is the best for us southern living at home catalog junkies. Wish you would post more often. Would love to hear more about southern living at home catalog.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home