Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Shifting the Floor

Went out for supper with Little Boy Blue tonight. He looked miserable.

I wondered what happened to the boy I once knew - the boy whom had so much laughter in him, that it was contagious. You can't help but laugh along.

His divorce messed him up pretty badly - nowadays, he looks so tired and empty. Perhaps more than he'd care to admit or show. But it's like a black hole that he never got out of.

It's funny - we were both grappling with the same issue - the sense of incompleteness of being alone. I've had it all my life - first, there was no real family, now there's no life partner.

Back when I was a kid, my brother (in the days before he became the unconscionable monster that he is today) taught me of the concept of the "floor".

It's imagining and calculating the worst possible thing that you think could happen to you. Once you know where the "floor" is, anything above that, is a bonus. Because you're already prepared for the worst, come what may.

I've been reflecting on my current unhappiness for a few days, now. And I've come to a startling conclusion: I'm unhappy because in my wildest dreams, I'd never thought I'd be here right now. Divorced, alone and seemingly unable to move on, with life.

In the "floor" of my mind and expectations - I never thought that there's a possibility that I will ever be unmarried, or for that matter, that I might die alone, unmarried. To be without a shared present or future. Or that my lineage or legacy will not be continued.

The possibility is there. And it's time that I acknowledged it. I've gone below my "floor" and I'm unhappy for it. But yet, the situation is very real. And there's a possibility that it may continue, for an indefinite period. And everyday, I'm unhappy - dragging myself through another day of existence, waiting for things to change.

This is simply not viable. I can't keep waiting to be happy. It can't be contingent on something that might never come - or never come again. I'm wasting so much of my life - waiting to "live".

The "floor" has to be shifted. The question that I should now ask myself is: If I am destined to be solitary for the rest of my living days - how shall I make myself happy? How can I be happy with what I have? How should I live, if I don't have anyone else to live for, but myself?

To be or not to be? - that is the question, as The Bard would say it.

Because I'm not getting any younger. Because I'm difficult, idealistic and impractical. Because I follow my heart - and I'm living in a world, that has largely forgotten how to. Because logic does not rule the world and most people run away from their own shadows, much less chase their own destiny. Because right and wrong have become such subjective values, in the eyes of many.

I have to be happy, today. And if I don't know how to, yet - then I have to learn. Because it could be years before I am where I want to be. Or it could be never.

But even Adam in Heaven wanted an Eve. What makes me think that I'll be able to be happy alone, for the rest of my life? I don't have an answer to that. Maybe Heaven does - but I'm tired of being in the Hell of Disillusionment.

I want to live. I want to feel what there is, to be felt. I want to live my life like I was the only person, that matters. And to live it without fear, for I am the only person, I risk. Invulnerability, is a person whose not afraid to die for his cause and belief.

Slowly, I shall start shifting the "floor" - many things will necessarily, change. I'm tired of waiting for your reply, God - your silence has left me lost and confused.

But no more waiting, for tomorrow's sunrise. I'm going to make my own moonlight tonight and it shall be my guide, in this pitch blackness of night.

If this be your Fate for me, Almighty - as cruel and harsh as it may seem to me - I will make the best of it. For that is all, that's within my power to do. For hope, is the denial of reality.

10 Comments:

Blogger Seeking Solace said...

Thank you for this post. I am inspired.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel you.

-the one who smiled last friday-

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel you.

-the one who smiled last friday-

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont usually post comments (feels so presumptious of me to make remarks on someone who's name I dont even know) but I wanted to say that this particular piece made me feel... exceptionally blue.

The thing is, I spent most my life chasing things looking for my happiness. Looked for it in other people, ideologies, books etc but I didnt feel happy 'Happy' you know.

Was complaining about this when someone quoted Dennis Wholey (recovered alcoholic!)to me after one of my depressive sessions, she was going through a rather crummy time as well (read: hell) but was fairing way better then I was : "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian".

I was told that there are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness. Basically, as long as you arent stuck in jail with a man who looks like a Bob but calls himself Princess, life surely cant be that bad.

I mean you sound like someone who has friends and family members for support and who love you (there'll always be black sheep in a family though),you've been propositioned more then once I reckon to have a relationship by girls in black halternecks, you seem to be independent and career-wise, you're on a roll!

Be glad for what you have and dont focus too much on what you feel is lacking in your life. Like John Milton says "The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven." Choice is yours.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe by realizing this, you have finally heard what is God communicating to you, which you perceived as His silence that left you lost and confused.

Reading this make me realize that despite your differences in living your life from the majority - following your heart, being difficult, idealistic and impractical - you have one thing in common with the rest of us:

You are afraid to change.

You might not agree with the statement, but that's how I see it. And I'm glad to see that you're taking one step towards making something out of your life besides determining to stay unhappy and expecting for something which is hopeless.

Shift the floor, alright, old man, and be happy doing it even if it kills the part of you that is screaming of fear now, because the comfort zone is being snatched away. Fear not. You have your friends who will catch you if and when you fall.

Have faith. Take care.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shift the floor, by all means, if it allows you to cope better with your present situation. Your experience would also, I suppose, motivate you to become (as far as you can) that "ideal husband material"; such that when the right person comes along, you are in a position to make her an offer she cannot refuse.

Anon 2

10:14 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Solace:

Am glad if it was helpful to you, in some way. Have read your blog - I think you're not doing too badly - at least, on the outside.

Anonymous:

Thanks. Smile more often. :)I need the sedekah. Hahahaha,...

Muffin:

Yes, that has been suggested and tried before, thanks. But perhaps, the one craving in my life - ever - is to have a family of my own.

But your comments are thought-provoking. Thanks!


Voice:

I disagree, Voice. Am not afraid of change or challenges - have done it my whole life. I walk the talk and where I can't, I don't talk.

Am not hoping for any particular person right now. Just hoping to have a family, with someone I love. A natural instinct, for many.

But if you feel that I'm moping, because I feel that - that's your right. All I'm deciding is, to cope better and to try to be happy, despite being alone.

It's something that the mind can decide on - but the heart will take its time to follow. We're humans - not robots. And I think God knows that, Voice.


Anon 2:

The men who mostly end up married now are not necessarily "ideal husband material".

I think it's a myth - it's just a matter of someone wanting you blindly - regardless of your deficiencies.

The assumption that people do what's better for them is flawed - human choices cannot be totally explained away, by reason.

As human beings are flawed, so can their reasoning be.

I don't want to keep hoping that I'll be married.

Shifting the floor means giving up the possibility, that it will ever happen. And sincerely accepting that.

3:15 AM  
Blogger Ayu Jamli said...

Whether you shift floors or not, the main thing is this, do not make your happiness contingent upon another person or a situation. A bit of a conundrum, I know, because there is a name for people who are happy even when there is no reason to be!! :-)
But I learnt the above lesson the hard way and honestly dear, things do get better albeit very slowly.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sting...am glad to read that you're determined to make your own light in the darkness. Take care. I can't offer any other comments because I'm grappling with my own dark patches as well.

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope in the midst of disagreeing with the way I look at it, you also take in the words after that. I avoid writing what I don't mean myself. I am glad that you're making a step towards doing something to heal.

Perhaps my gladness does not matter that much when I sounded like I'm bringing you down, which was not my intention.

You'll make it, Stingray. All the best.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home