Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Thursday, April 13, 2006

American Idol - The Final 7 - Bye Bye Cowboy!

Bucky is OUT! Yes! Yes! Yes! :) Bye-bye Cowboy! :)

(Sorry, Pixie - but this is a moment to celebrate) ;)

OK, to be fair - he was only the 2nd worst performer from last night - with Ace definitely being the worst, due to awful song choice. However, on an overall basis, Bucky is the person with the most limited ability to vary his performance and style, of the final 8.

However, the surprise is that Elliot Yamin found himself in the bottom 3 again this week, despite what I would rate as one of the top 4 performances, for last night. In fact, his performance is definitely better than Paris Bennett's last night (somehow, it didn't sound like a song, despite her powerhouse vocals) - and that doesn't happen very often.

But I think Elliot is finding himself in the "bland" corner - something that one of the earlier top 12 contestants, Ayla Brown, (who also had superior vocals, than some other contestants, suffered from as well.

Down to the final 7 - depending on the genre of songs and the suitability of songs picked - I would say that with the exception of Chris, Katherine and Kellie - everyone else is pretty good and equal to each other now - not necessarily in vocals, but in all-round talent to be an American Idol.

Next week, they're singing Rod Stewart songs, which has a wide range and repertoire - everyone would have an equal chance to shine. With the right song choice, I think even Ace, would outshine some of the better vocalists in the group. Bet on it.

Whoever gets kicked out next week - is going to be really heartbreaking. It's touch and go from here.

************************************************************

You see, to be an American Idol - you've got to have a strong personality that your voters identify with, to go with that voice and the brains (the ability to know what songs show you off the best). It's not just a singing competition - it's a branding competition, too. (That's what I realized after Mandisa got kicked out last week)

That would explain why Taylor Hicks (Mr. Down-to-Earth American values and energetic performer) and Ace Young (The Heart-throb) have survived longer than they should and why Mandisa (The Vocalist Supremo) and Lisa Tucker (Innocent Little Powerhouse) was shortlived. It's not just about the best raw talent - it's about the person who polishes their all-rounded abilities best, to be a star.

Sometimes, your looks may give you a slight advantage in creating that "branding" (like it does in any line of work) to go with the talent - like it does with Katherine "McPheever" McPhee and Chris Daughtry - but it will not hold you up forever. After the first minute, you better be able to show that you can sing, entertain and that there's a real person, beneath that amazing performer.

That's what attracts the votes. Politicians from all around the world, could learn from American Idol. Heh! ;)

Who'd have thought one could learn so many things from American Idol, huh? ;) And some of you guys thought it was just senseless entertainment?

**********************************************************

On a purely unrelated note, (and on a totally non-macho front, I know) - I cried watching Katherine McPhee's home videos, as a child. She was adorable and a beautiful baby. Apparently, her passion for singing, started when she was just 2 years old. No wonder.

And it was really touching to see the loving pride in her father's eyes. I agree with Ryan Seacrest - how does the man get through watching Bambi?? (Okay, so I cried at Bambi too - but I was younger back then,....)

Then it occurred to me - one day, I could teach my children how to sing and appreciate music! Now, THAT'S something to look forward to - family karaoke sessions! :) Or even family live band performances! :)

It's nice to know that there are still a few things that I won't be too old for, once I have children. Maybe Sinatra songs will sound better on me, once I actually gray like ol' Blue Eyes Frankie. :)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a Von Trapp Family for you? :)

Elliot and Ace were in the bottom 3 because of incomplete packages?Imagine if there's someone in the competition who looks like Ace and have a voice like Elliot's. Divine combination.
My fav. song/performance/whatever u call it, in AI5 so far is Elliot's Moody's Mood For Love. Flawless. I could listen to it all day long. *sigh* cair.
So what's your fav song in AI5?

9:11 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pojan:

Very good question.

For me, the most memorable performance I've seen in AI5, so far is Mandisa's amazing rendition of Dinah Washington's "It Don't Hurt Anymore".

There are not many performers that can outsing and outclass the original singer of a great song.

But Mandisa definitely did it! And so far, that performance has been unrivalled.


Noni:

Oiii, teaching my daughter (if I ever have the good fortune to have one)to sing is just for her to enjoy singing-lah.

Not for packaging to sell for marriage to royalty. I'd rather her grow up to be more like Syafinaz, than like Mazuin. :)

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace dodged the bullet yet again! Bucky's votes will probably be split between Ace and Kelly. That means bye bye Elliot, next week?

Anon 2

6:27 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Anon 2:

Not necessarily.

Yes, I think most of Bucky's votes will go to Kellie Pickler (she is the only real representative of country and western music genre now) but not necessarily divert to Ace.
The votes may divert to Taylor or Chris.

But yes, either Elliot or Paris will be in danger next week, I feel.

Especially, if Ace picks the right song next week - which he does with better frequency than the rest, despite limited vocals.

But truth be told,...I was pleased to see Bucky. He's the one with the most limited potential of the final 8.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Anon 2:

Sorry, I meant that I was pleased to see Bucky GO. :)

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*if you could see me sticking my tongue out at you right now, that'd be awesome!!!* hahah!

In fact, from next week, I'll be so jahat that I will tell you the AI results as soon as I get them! Hah! ;)

Anyway, I really hope Ace will be kicked out next week. He should have been long gone! Plus, I don't think he's good looking pun! Urgh.

That Pickler girl should go too. She's just getting too annoying by the week.

Okay. Lets take a bet. I think Ace will say goodbye next week..

8:18 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

Oiii, play fair! Just bcoz your cowboy can't sing, doesn't mean that you should ruin my AI5 enjoyment, by telling me the results early!

I think Kellie Pickler has what it takes to make it to the top 4 - based on talent, good song choices and and an out-of-this-world bimbo personality - that seems to appeal to so many voters.

Maybe even top 3, but it's hard imagining her, going beyond that.

But the bet on Ace is on! I say that Ace will only go, in the week after next (or if he's very lucky, the week after that, even) - and next week will be a tragic elimination for either Elliot or Paris,...

Since you're going to lose, I'll let you choose the stake of the bet,...heh! ;)

And since Bucky Cowboy is gone - shouldn't you choose a new horse, now? (Pun absolutely intended,...;))

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weiiiiii!! My cowboy CAN sing! He just can't pronounce some words properly.. (which was why it's very difficult to understand what he's singing sometimes.. heheh.)

Anyway, I don't want to pick another person. Jst like I didnt pick anyone else after constantine was kicked out last year.

But yes, the bet is on. I think Ace is gonna pack his bags next week.

We'll decide on the stake later okay? I might jst ask for a COACH handbag! Hahahahhahaha...

12:44 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

You picked Constantine last year? But Ace looks a lot like Constantine (with much lesser talent, of course)

Well, have it your way, Horseless Gal. :)

And as for the stake, what is this craze (with everyone) about handbags, nowadays? Haha!

(Refer to Dinzie and TTG for the dream handbag formerly known as TODS) ;)

Oiii, mana ada orang pilih stake lepas bet? It must be before, man! And it must be something affordable.

(The last time I looked in the mirror, Dato' K was not staring back at me,....know what I mean?) :)

2:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Constantine is 1,000 times better looking than the Ace "I'm-so-blur-I-look-duuuuhh-most-of-the-time" Young. Hah! :p

Anyway, if Ace gets kicked out next week, I'll stop giving u the results.. heheh.

But if Ace stays.. well.. u can do anything to me lah.. heheh.

Take care and have a good weekend ya..! :)

3:57 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

Constantine better looking than Ace? I see that the poor judgement is an extension from poor eyesight, too. ;)

Just kidding.

Okay, the bet is on. The terms sound so favourable to me - you are SO going to regret this bet. ;)

You have a good weekend too, Pixie. :)

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home