Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Saturday, November 18, 2006

A Great Reunion

It was one of best the best festival functions I've had, in years. :)

Thank you to Acat and Xena, for being the great co-hosts and core support team for yesterday's great event. And to Zen and AJ too, for selflessly helping out with the cleaning up, thereafter.

I cannot put into words the debt of gratitude I feel, for everyone that has chipped in their efforts in making yesterday's event, a success.

I'm extremely satisfied - close to 90 people turned up (from an expected turnout of 100 people - but most did not make it due to the pouring rain after 4 p.m. - although some, like ZR, Lita, Inas, Ena, Gina and Greeky who gallantly braved the rain anyway), the guests enjoyed the food, friends from all races and all stages of my life were mixing, mingling and laughing in one big happy Malaysian union (and for some others, reunion), there were many, many children of my peers and I realize that with their presence, we've widened the bonds of friendship into their next generation, too.


I'm my mother's child in that sense - I enjoy hosting and entertaining people in a home event.

I love catching up with people, I thrive on crowds and laughter, I love the nostalgia of past years and seeing how they've grown and matured as people (especially my juniors with their lovely children)and I appreciate that after all these years, some of them still value the relationship we have.

I've shared so much history with some of them - some spanning a period of over 24 years. And some, even if much shorter, carries the nond, depth, meaning, intensity and generosity of friendships, that are decades old.

And in particular, the presence of 2 little children - a little girl and a little boy - made my heart glow, even if their mother was conspicuously absent.

The children have been responsible for so much happiness that I've felt and they were there again yesterday - ever-consistent in the their attention and generosity of their love. There is so much that adults can learn from the innocence and simplicity of children, I tell you.

There were some special people and friends who didn't make it to the event, though I wish they had - but yes, there will be other events in the future, InsyaAllah. Kalau panjang umur, tradisi yang baik akan kita lanjutkan.

At one point, I looked around at all the people attending the event and there was an intensely rewarding feeling inside. A quiet little joy; a smile that cannot be helped.

Over the years, I've been lucky - I have made many good friends and acquaintances and the effort to nurture those ties, have not been in vain. And some have unselfishly and repeatedly proven that they'd be there for me - come rain or shine.

Thank you, God - I have been blessed in so many ways - and this is certainly, one of them.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were glad to be there. What's heavy rain compared to great friendships?

"... just call my name, and I'll be there." (beautiful harmonies for memories :)

Hugs,
G

10:44 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Anonymous a.k.a. G:

Yes, we do have great friendships, don't we?

And I'm looking forward to many more years of such good memories. :)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Pink-Fins @ Blue-Fins said...

Awok sokmo, clash sokmo ngae event sayo. Ghugi la awok dok gi my open house, ghama la awek cun cun maghi.. artis-artis pong ado jugok..

10:27 PM  
Blogger lita said...

thanks again for the invite, I had a great time, rain notwithstanding.

a few asked about you on sunday at my do; i had three couples attending in matching maju melayu/kurung-kebaya outfits ok!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pink-fins:

Awok pong! Awok sajo yah tokse sayo jupo awek-awek cun nga artis - nok sughoh sayo jadi bachelor paling tuo di KL! :D

Next year, awok tok maghi jugok, saya supoh jadi ketupak! :D


Lita:

Glad you made it and am happy that you had a good time, dear.

The "bearded saxophonist" was charming, wasn't he? :)

3 matching baju melayu/kurung outfits? Waaaah, that's a URTV moment girl! Ambik gambo dak? ;)

2:17 AM  
Blogger Ms O said...

We had a great time. A, the kids and myself enjoyed the food tremendously! In fact, after we left, the kids fell asleep almost instantaneously in the car...out of sheer "kekenyangan", I guess.

Thanks again for extending the invitation to all of us. Tahun depan, jemput lagi, ya? :D

And yes, times like these remind us how lucky we are to have real friends in our lives and how important it is to maintain these relationships.

Kudos to the hosts!

Ms O

7:07 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Ms O:

The hosts are flattered at your gracious compliment - and hopefully, there will be another event like this next year.

Yes, am really glad that you, Handsome Daddy and my favourite kids could make it. :) Nowadays, not so many people are good at keeping their promises.

It was great catching up with the others from our past university days too, kan? :)

It's hard to believe that we've had and nurtured some of these friendships and relationships, over the last 11 years, kan? It seems just like yesterday in London,...

And we've seen everyone around us, grow and evolve so much into the people they are today - and it still constantly amazes me. :)

Time, shared history, taking the initiative of giving and receiving sincerely and being there for each other in good or bad - these are are the things that add depth and meaning to our lives.

It's a good formula that works and I hope that we'll carry on for our next generation, InsyaAllah.

In these meaningful relationships that we build, love is something we mean and prove all, even when it's unspoken. :)

11:51 PM  
Blogger lita said...

ha, the "bearded saxophonist" was most charming, as was the host himself ; )

yes, i also love having mine because (when I do get to actually sit down with my guests), it's like the past year or two of not having met up just melts away.

and i get as much joy as seeing people i have known just a few months as i do friends who have been with me through thick and thin since a-level days.

: )

1:14 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Lita:

Yep, I can relate to that. :)

Btwm dear, if you want to have outings with the "bearded saxophonist" at some cool jazz joints in town - that can be arranged,...;)

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home