Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Mentor Returns!

My mentor, Dr Saint (not his real name) has returned to Malaysia after successfully completing his Ph.D. after 3 years, in Scotland.

I'm really glad he's back.

This is one examplary man that has taught me that one man with great passion for constructive change, can make a difference for many others out there.

He taught me to believe that it change is possible if one strives for it and that even if one fails in one's crusade - there is no shame in it, as valour is measured by how hard you try, in overcoming the challenges.

He's a semi-retired millionaire who lives a pretty religious-conscious, humble and frugally understated life, despite his wealth. There's nothing ostentatious about Dr Saint - whatever his financial capacity, it has never bothered him to drive a Kancil on the road.

This was the man who in 2001, had asked me 3 times to join The NGO. I refused him the first 2 times and I insisted that he must have seen more in me, than what I was really capable of. I was literally dragged into holding a Council position in The NGO, when he was still the founder President.

And 4 glorious years (up until my retirement from Council in April 2005) in The NGO followed - with so many stories of effort, struggle, passion, sacrifice, courage, persistence, success and failure. Out of these 4 years, The Program was born - a major success for such a young NGO.

It was probably one of those few moments in my involvement in The NGO, when I felt I had justified Dr Saint's faith in me. Although knowing him, it would have been good enough, that I was making the effort to make a difference to others.

I met many good and inspiring people within the industry and some of them, have become not only close comrades in The NGO, but also close friends.

The Go-Getter, The Prince, The IP expert, The Trainer, The Russian, The Handsome Chap, The Management Guru, The Smartcard Woman, The Broadband Guy - they were all amongst the many invisible and dedicated people within The NGO - that have quietly but surely contributed to the development of the industry.

Those were the glory years for The NGO.

It was then run by people who had passion, discipline and commitment - and they were results-oriented. They knew that the position they held was not a privilege - but a responsibility.

Now, it's just a mere shadow of what it used to be. There are hardly any activities held, now - and the ones that are still running are mostly done by the same old horses with the same old packaging, from yesteryears.

And the once great leadership influence The NGO used to wield on policy issues in matter related to the industry, be it in the Government, the universities and the private sector - has now diminished and virtually disappeared, if not for the respect accorded to The Prince, by many.

And even though I've tried to help with the succession planning and I recruited seemingly good people on to the Council, whom I gauged were more technically able and competent than me - but the results and outcome have been quiet disappointing.


And at last night's teh tarik session, I asked Dr Saint why. Why are our efforts in recruiting good successors, such a dismal failure within The NGO?

His answer was simple yet illuminating.

He said to me: "Why did you think I asked you 3 times to join The NGO? It's because you had the one thing that would make The NGO work - Passion."

"No matter how educated, experienced and technically able a person is - he will not do well in The NGO, unless he's passionate about the cause and his responsibilities."


*************************************************

I owe Dr Saint a huge debt of gratitude, which I cannot possibly repay. Most especially so, for believing in me, long before I believed in myself.

I remember joining my first Council meeting in 2001, trembling at the thought that I may let down the people I represent. This was after all, a national organization and the fate of so many in the industry, depends on our efforts and success.

He had much more confidence in me, that I would do well. Certainly, much more than I did, at that time.

And I'd like to think that my contribution in the 4 years that I was in The NGO, has justified his faith in me.

Be it from a projects, policy, people or succession perspective - I think I've done at least, my fair share to influence and contribute to its past, current and future growth. It's got my fingerprints all over it - though there are probably as many failures, as there have been successes.

There were many sweet successes and memories within my time in The NGO - and I know I owe it to Dr Saint, for sparing me the opportunity to achieve them.

But my mentor's return has caught me in an optimistic mood, again.

There's nothing like the return of an inspiring leader - to motivate good, capable people to believe in the possibility of effecting constructive change, again.

I believe The NGO will benefit from Dr Saint's return - with or without a position, he will be able to make a difference and breathe life back again into The NGO, which is seemingly lifeless now.

Perhaps, the glory days are around the corner again. Perhaps, passion will once again pervade and prevail, within the ranks of The NGO.

God knows it's been missing for too long - and the people who elect us and who we represent, have suffered for it.

Welcome Back, Dr Saint! :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He probably saw what the rest of us saw in you.

Tenacity.

It takes tenacity to stubbornly hold onto an issue and not let go.

And you, are indeed, stubborn. Heh...

7:25 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Najah:

Yes, I am, aren't I, dear?

In both good and bad ways, I'm afraid.

I sometimes feel like Tun Mahathir, when it relates to The Program, know what I mean? ;)

And I guess on that count, I can't be the easiest of friends, to have.

8:05 PM  
Blogger [V]landa said...

i realize that this is kinda [very very very] late, but..

Happy belated birthday, Stingray.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

haqita02:

Hey, dear. Sorry to hear about your current predicament. :(

Hang on in there - just go one paper at a time.

Keep your mind in the moment and on doing the best you can for every paper and you'll be fine.

Good luck, young one! :)


[Is}landa:

Thanks for the b'day wish, dear. :) Better late than never. Hehe.

You enjoying yourself on the island?


Anonymous:

Thanks for highlighting the mistake - I appreciate it. :)

And sorry that I had to delete your post - I'm sure you understand why, right?

But yes, you're right - I probably do need an editor,....

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home