Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Age of Celebrated Thieves

Something's been niggling on my conscience, lately.

And I don't know what to do about it.

***********************************************************************************

Recently, a newly vocal and ambitious not-so-old leader called on Pak Lah to be accountable and to take action on certain issues, that had been majorly highlighted by the press.

Let's call this leader "Mr Glasshouse".

Mr. Glasshouse received much support from mostly non-paying members of his organization, for his stand. He received much attention in the media. He was even recently quoted, in an international magazine. There were accolades all round for his brave words, which were critical of the Government's lack of transparency and condoning of corrupt acts.

And if that was the full picture, this would have been a beautiful one. With much to look forward to, in the future of Malaysia.

*********************************************************************************

Unfortunately, that's not the full picture.

The truth is, this Mr. Glasshouse himself is involved in corruption - despite taking on the guise of the champion of the anti-corruption brigade.

Mr. Glasshouse was involved in the embezzlement of RM150,000 (from RM250,000 of charity funds donated by Big Bank), meant for a socio-educational project done under his organization, The Free Food Club. Let's call the project - "Project R".

Apparently, the project leaders of Project R were instructed to cap their expenditure for all 5 parts of the project, to a maximum of RM100,000.

The project leaders, good conscientious people who only wanted to do charity work and who were afraid that Project R might be affected, reluctantly acquiesced and kept to the maximum limit given by Mr. Glasshouse.

It was understood by the leaders of Project R, that all communications with Big Bank, were to go through Mr. Glasshouse. He would engineer that it would seem like the entire fund, has been used for the scope of Project R.

Big Bank would never know that RM150,000 would be siphoned off, to the Free Food Club. It was related to me that the proceeds were to pay off for some expenses relating to some other past projects, done by the Free Food Club.

When I protested against this act of theft, I remember Mr. Glasshouse's deputy, Mr. Pillar, saying to me: "Why are you making noise about this? Do you want to see our friends (Mr Glasshouse and Mr. Rising Star) get into trouble? And go to prison? Do you?"

It shocked me, that even a good person like Mr. Pillar, would condone corruption, despite the fact that he was in a direct position in Free Food Club's Exco, to intervene. And that he looked at my rightful intervention as a betrayal and "sabotage towards friends".

I guess that's when you find out, how much you can rely on the integrity of your friends. What do you do, when it is your friends who have become thieves?

Push comes to shove, they will keep silent. Nobody wants to be alone, doing the right thing.

Now the RM150,000 is gone - with no documentation on either sides (because it was a verbal deal with the (playful) Executive Chairman of The Big Bank), on the real utilization of funds. And the funny thing is, even after Bank Negara has audited the Big Bank, no request was made to Free Food Club to furnish details on the utilization of the Project R funds.

The thieves have escaped scot-free. And one of them, is today being celebrated as Malaysia's new hope, fighting against corruption and lack of accountability by the Government. And one day, someone in the system will absorb him to become one of the country's leaders.

We are in The Age of Celebrated Thieves.

********************************************************************************

And then there is the story of the bureau head of a prominent youth wing of a political party, who attempted to hijack an award from the rightful recipients. Due to the push by the rightful recipients, he was caught red-handed and the issue was brought to the attention of the President of the political party.

And then nothing happened. No action was taken. The Thief is still serving the President of the political party. And serving in his own youth wing too - supposedly, on the pretext of helping others of his own kind.

Humbug. Another "Celebrated Thief" in the system.

***********************************************************************************

There's a lot that makes me sad about these Celebrated Thieves.

It makes me sad, because I know some of these people. In their student days, they were the people that could move an entire ocean of students, for a good cause.

They were the idealists that intended to change the system. And that was the reason, why they came back. To help the country, to improve the system.

And now, they've started stealing. From donation funds, meant for a socio-education project - the underprivileged. This is called stealing from the poor.

And good-intentioned people like some of those involved in Project R, are being dragged as reluctant accomplices, into the corruptive mud. Even though all they wanted to do, was to protect the good name of their project. To them, taking a stand for what's right, may affect Project R.

And the Celebrated Thieves are now cheered on and commended, as the champions of anti-corruption. They have managed to pull the wool, over everyone's eyes.

And one day, they will be in the Government system - robbing Malaysians of money, merit, contracts and God knows what else. Unless, we stop them.

**********************************************************************************

Today, Famous Blogger asked me, whether I knew anything about this. I told him I did, but since I was not involved in Project R, that he should probe further - especially for those involved in Project R. He said he will.

I hope he uncovers this story and blows it wide open.

Because my conscience, silence and weakness, is bothering me. I hold the ACA's telephone number in my hands. If all else fails, this would be the next step. I have to do my part - otherwise, I will just be another silent accomplice.

We cannot start treating thieves like heroes. Lest one day, we will be left with pirates for the country's leaders.

And it doesn't take very much to get there. All it takes is for us to remain apathetic, afraid, self-interested and becoming reluctant accomplices to celebrated thieves.

Keep doing that and I assure you, tomorrow, this country will go to the dogs.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for you suggested site is interesting.
Owen

1:23 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

you are brave. best of luck for i think you will need it.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Malaysian, working as an attorney in Singapore. I hope you have the strength and fortitude stand up for what is right. God knows the country needs you to. And to be blunt about it, better to stick your neck out this way while you're single, with no dependants, than when you have a wife and kids to think about...
May the force be with you...

6:25 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Babe:

I'm not the only one needing luck. All non-criminal Malaysians do.


Anonymous:

I understand your point. But certainly, the responsibility and risk of truth cannot be just shouldered by the singles.

If that is so, we might as well call it quits on Malaysia, today.


Pseudonym0us:

Thanks for your concern for me, bro'.

You're absolutely right, Intentions do not make a man brave.

But I've never stopped at intentions, in my life. Good or bad - I live it.

If stopping criminals from committing a crime makes me an idealist, then be it.

But I refuse to live in the country I'm born in, on the belief that in order to be safe - you should let the criminals rob you, in broad daylight.

And on top of that, entrust the leadership of our people and our nation, to them.

With our eyes wide shut.

I can buy a house anywhere - in New Zealand, even.

But this is the only home country I've got. It's worth fighting for.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with being an idealist .. it drives us .. conscience is what we feel when those ideals are infringed upon.

We have to have a balance of both.

Yours is a good start, Stingray ;-)

11:50 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

The fact that you are actually doing something is an act of bravery to me. The reason of my wishing you the luck is solely based on my limited experiences of dealing with those who are involved with politics. But let’s hope you don’t need it and all turn out well for you and Malaysia in the end.

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm now convinced of the invisible force that made me ask in the first place. I'm behind you. 100%. If it means backing out of the initial interest, then be it. I'm not going to get involved in something that will compromise the way I live my life, however indirect it may be.

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just keep on writing, bro.. you're making change with every click of the keyboard :)

Salam,
ZR

1:35 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

A small step with faith leads to a journey with hope.
As the song "Man in the Mirror" goes... Make that change. :)

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm one of those ppl who will NEVER know about this stuff because the local papers just don't tell it as it is.

All the best to you, whatever steps you might take!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

LX:

Thanks, bro'. We'll see what the next step is.


Babe:

Amin to that.


Voice:

I respect that decision.


ZR:

Am I? I'm not quite sure. But quite little action steps must be taken. Unless we resist, the good people will perish and leave.

New Zealand is beginning to look better everyday, to me.


Rain:

Aiyo, bad example. "The Man in the Mirror" Michael Jackson, is a mess! ;)


Thinktankgal:

Sometimes, I do. But sometimes, I wonder whether I should think more about me and what makes me happy.

The vocal minority should not always have to be the battering ram of the silent majority. :(


Nenn:

Welcome to the blog! :)

I question whether it's a good thing to know more, sometimes.

Perhaps, citizens who live with blinkers, who don't know what's happening out there and who don't mind being robbed by the avaricious few in leadership, are happier.

Maybe ignorance is the only true bliss, in this country.

One never knows.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray, don't leave for New Zealand. It's going to be a lonely place without you occasionally gracing my online friends' list with your presence. I know that the Net is borderless, but last I heard there are time differences between the two countries :p

9:20 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

Haiya... I'm quoting the song lyrics, not MJ lah. :P

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sharizal said...

throw a brick at mr glasshouse i say! and we should see what happens... jeng jeng jenggggg

5:38 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Voice:

Considering that I write at odd hours, the time difference will not affect our communications. :)

And Christchurch is a beautiful town. :)


Rain:

I hope so. Otherwise, mirror crack-lah. ;)


Rizal:

Mr. Glasshouse is already throwing stones, in his own glasshouse. He doesn't need any assistance.

Lust is the downfall of Man - but pride is the downfall of an Archangel.

For his sake, I hope he returns the money, before the wrong catches up with him.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home