Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Friday, October 14, 2005

My Favourite Things

Passed by the neighbour's condo just now and heard a song from the "The Sound of Music" playing.

It was that song about Maria's favourite things - something like "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, and warm woolen mittens,...blueberry apple pie tied up with strings" etc.

As a kid, I used to spend a lot of time in front of the TV. Amongst the Regent's Ville boys, I was the maestro for TV programs. I knew them all and I remembered them all. Although Mr. Boy Tarantino came a close second and he was the best on movies, with me coming a close second.

But I loved "The Sound of Music". I still sing "Edelweiss" in karaoke, sometimes. (much to the horror of my friends) And I had a huge crush on the actress that played the role of Liesl, in that movie. What I'd do to be that Nazi soldier boy, Ralf, in that "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" song and dance routine, they did in the gazebo.


But it got me thinking about some of my favourite things (or previous experiences) in life. I think some of the top on my list is (in no particular order):


1) Having the curry mee at La Manila, Midvalley Megamall, before catching a movie;

2) A great karaoke session with the gang, where my vocals would actually surprise me - preferably, in front of a lady that I'd like to impress;

3) Having lunch in a 12th century Andalusian house belonging to Salma Garaudy in Cordoba, accompanied by the flamenco guitar-playing of Chapi Pineda, a world-class flamenco guitarist;

4) Admiring the beauty of the women in Granada, Spain in summer, with their baked golden brown tan and summer dresses. The most beautiful women in the world are in Spain!;

5) The noise and nightlife in Leicester Square in London - it's just impossible to be depressed there;

6) The spires, old buildings, bookshops and bicycle-riding students of Oxford town - especially in the pale sunlight tint of impending dusk;

7) A top-floor resort room facing the seaside in Pangkor Pan Pacific and sitting on the balcony and letting the sea breeze soothe and pamper you;

8) Paris. Everything about Paris. And the feel of warm lips in a long lingering kiss in Paris, in the midst of winter;

9) The scenery in the drive down from Christchurch to Queenstown in South Island, New Zealand. If there was a landscape that was meant to be heaven on earth, it would look like that;

10) The serenity, beauty and internal design of the seaside Hassan II mosque in Casablanca;

11) Little girls in bowl-shaped hair or pony tails in pretty pink frocks - makes me crave to have a daughter of my own;

12) A cuddle with someone I love, in my semi-lighted living room, with light classic jazz music in the background;

13) Orange cats or kittens of any kind; (I'm talking about real cats, Thinktankgal. ;))

14) French toast and sugar on a rainy day inside the house, while watching Oprah Winfrey; and

15) Hindi films of any kind - especially, if they involve my favourite actresses - Rani Mukherjee and Preity Zinta.

16) Dinner with a beautiful woman that you can stare at, the whole night. And good, deep meaningful conversations, to boot.


That's all that comes to mind right now.

What's your list of favourite things? :) Do tell.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

uuu...favorite things. me first!me first! hehe.

let's see.

a good book which can make me laugh and cry.
a large cup of hot chocolate.
a large, single sofa.
a window to see the rain outside.
me, wrapped in a warm blanket.
late afternoon.

all in one sitting.
heaven on earth.

outside the cocoon though, gazing towards the many valleys and lush greens across Blue Mountain, Australia, and passing the Swiss hillside homes in Lucerne by train, shall remain as my two favorite moments.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with no. 4.

got here from confession central!

10:29 AM  
Blogger MDR said...

is this a meme? damn Sting, u've got an impressive international list going there! i love no. 3...always wanted 2 go 2 Spain and be up-close to the flamenco..such a vibrant, spirited, frenzied burst of artistic choreography!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Leen AshBurn said...

my five fave things, amongst others:

- good food - especially my mom's *yums*
- the pc terminal at the main library of uni; 4th floor, overlooking this expanse fields that seem to go on and on *sighs*
- good books that i can get lost in from page 1
- chillin at home, listening to good music (could be eva cassidy one day,GnR the next heehe) OR a great sitcom hehe
- lepak with friends with great conversations and huge, huge laughs

4:26 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Voice:

Wow, the Swiss hillside homes in Lucerne by train, sounds great! :) And long live hot chocolate! Hehe!


Thinktankgal:

Yes, you're bringing back so many memories of Oxford town. :)

And yes, I must try to make it to Switzerland, one of these days.

And yes, planning to visit out mutual friend in Vancouver too, next year. :)


Devil bunny:

I think you only have hot steamy scrabble sessions with people you can beat, kot! ;) Haha!

I sure hope Penelope is a horse! ;) Otherwise, life is getting more interesting for you.


Scrubber:

Welcome to the blog, dear! Read that you're an anaesthetist. Don't tell me - you beat your patients at Scrabble, after you put them to sleep, right? ;)

So, where does the hot and steamy part come in? Gasp! Don't tell me,... while they're asleep! ;)


Marina:

No-lah. Have not seen as much of the world, as I'd like. But I'm planning a few more destinations over the next few years - hopefully, I won't have to go alone!

But yes, you should drag hubby to Spain during summer - what a divine place! And while you're at it, add Morocco to the list too! :)

Oiii, when are you inviting me for nasi kerabu? ;) Kempunan daaaa,...


Leen:

How come got no trips to see industri perikanan in Nova Scotia? ;) Not in top five, lor? :)

10:40 AM  
Blogger Sharizal said...

scrubber: oit what u mean confession central

The mother of all of my favourite things is:

CHICKEN RICE

And everything that goes along with it ;)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Rizal:

Correction - I think you meant the "chicken rice CHICK". Haha!

There's a difference between salivating for the food and the hand that feeds it. ;)

But am so happy for you, brother. :)

I share your happiness and I hope to have the good fortune of being there again, one day.

And seeing you there, gives me hope, bro'. Pray for my turn to come, yeah? ;)

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh uh... *drooool...
i luuuurve sound of music.. can break into a song & dance at a moment's notice.. habih la .. ni hang punya pasai, lepaih ni id be singing do a deer la pulak.. :-P
on the other hand, wat fabulous stuff you listed out.. :-)
can just about imagine all those..
esp cuddles in the living room ;-) dats among MY favourites too hehehe

12:41 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pseudonym0us:

Yes, even weekends when you're becoming Agony Uncle Ray Charles, huh? ;)


Zue:

I prefer the song when the Von Trapp kids were performing the "so long, farewell" song on the steps of their home. That was brilliant!

Well, on the cuddling in the living room part, at least, you can do that with your hubby.

It's just not the same for me, using a Swedish blow-up rubber doll,......;) Haha!

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home