Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Loneliest Aidilfitri

It's 26 minutes past the first day of Syawal.

And I feel absolutely nothing. No anticipation, no looking forward to the first day of Syawal.

It's as I suspected all along - this year will be the worst 1st of Syawal, I've ever experienced.


***********************************************************************************

I was at Mum and Ayah's grave this morning, with Kak and her daughter, Diana.

I read Surah Yaasin for both my late parents and while I was reading, I felt calm and controlled. I read the Yaasin with ease - 5 years of spending every Sunday at Ayah's grave, gave me a photographic familiarity with Surah Yaasin - I could read most parts with my eyes closed.

It wasn't until after I finished reciting the Yaasin and Al-Fatihah and I was laying the scented flowers and scented water on Mum's grave, that the heavy feeling hit me. Once again, she's not going to be with me, this Aidilfitri. And even though I've been repressing it, I've missed her terribly.

A few tears that I was holding back, streaked down my cheeks. Dammit - I shouldn't be crying. I'm the guy here. I felt a little embarrassed.

And this year, I'm not even celebrating Aidilfitri in our family home anymore. In fact, none of us siblings will. The family home has been sold off and for the first time ever, we find ourselves "homeless" in Aidilfitri - on top of being without parents.

Kak said to me "Raya is not fun anymore without her". I nodded in agreement.

Raya without Mum is really different. There was something special, that she added to the day.

I remember being woken up early in the morning for Aidilfitri prayers and the house is buzzing with activity. The usual delicious gourmet spread of nasi dagang, nasi impit, soto ayam, laksa kelantan, were on the dining table - waiting to be savoured. Rafeah Buang's classic raya tune would be playing at full volume in the background, while everyone in the house took their turns in using the bathrooms.

Every year (since I was 7), up till the year before she passed on, I would make it a point to get her to tie my samping for me, on Raya morning. It was my little way of "bermanja" with her - it gave her a good reason to pretend being upset - when I knew she relished the fact that I relied on her for this. It's like a part of me, that never grew up.

It helped that I was hopeless at it - it always looked nicer when she helped me tie my samping. She always knew how to tie it and make me look like a "pendekar". And every year, I would get her to advise me on the new baju Melayu for that year - what colour, what new style to apply (which was almost always her call), etc.

And then as the family tradition dictates, we'd go walking to the Regent's Ville mosque together - the males of the family looking dashing in their baju melayu.

And when we'd return from the mosque, the whole family (Bapak, Mum, siblings, nephews and nieces, grandchildren, etc.) would congregate in the family house for the "bermaaf-maafan" session and thereafter, gorge ourselves with the delicious Raya fare that Mum has prepared, with much love and dedication. No one stops eating until they fall asleep! :)

And Mum's jokes and blunt Kelantanese comments always kept the family, roaring in laughter.

Mum would look great in her new Raya dress and as the morning progresses to noon and the visitors start rolling in, she starts playing her role as the perfect hostess. Everyone would gush about how good the food is - and she would just joke about it, modestly. She and I are the same, in that way - we're never comfortable with compliments.

Raya was great with Mum in it. She was the magic in our Aidilfitri. And she turned the family home into a cosy palace every year, for her family and friends to enjoy.

And Raya's just not the same without her.

I love you, Mum. I didn't tell you enough times, when you were alive. And it is one of my biggest regrets.

************************************************************************************

All my siblings are coping with the feeling of loss, in similar ways - they're all celebrating Aidilfitri with their spouses' families, outside of KL. I can't blame them, really. I'd probably do the same in their shoes.

And Bapak has remarried. From latest indications, his new wife does not welcome parts of his past life very much - which includes us from Mum's family. And to a certain extent, I guess I understand.

And single me? I'm spending my Raya this year in my own condo. Alone.

I don't even feel like celebrating, honestly. Festivities means nothing to those without family, family homes or kampungs. Am still making up my mind whether I should attend Aidilfitri prayers, tomorrow.

No great gourmet fare by Mum to savour, just some yummy "donated" cookies and chocolates by thoughtful friends (yes, Lita - that includes you :)). No new baju Melayu this year (or even last year) - it just doesn't feel the same doing a baju Melayu without Mum's input. No palatial family home this year to remind us of our history and heritage. No family members on the first 3 days of Raya. No wife. No kid. No girlfriend, even.

Just me. Alone. Good grief, Charlie Brown,....

Trying to keep myself distracted by planning a series of open houses to visit. I've got 3 on the first day alone (yes, Zarina - this does include yours). And hopefully, through all these open houses - I wouldn't notice so much, what's missing from this year's Aidilfitri.

Not that I believe that it would really work. But it beats sitting idle in my condo, mourning the things that I don't have. I refuse to sleep through, my situation. I want to live.

***********************************************************************************

But yes, folks - this is the worst Aidilfitri in my life. As I'm facing this, I'm beginning to realize why my mother was so concerned about me having someone "take care of me", after she passed on.

She wasn't talking about survival or being able to live alone. She was afraid that I would be alone, on days like these. And that it would take a little (or a lot) of life's sweetness from me. No man is an island. And even heaven does not compensate for a man being alone.

I understand, Mum. I understand now, why you feared for me, being alone.

But guess what, Mum? Yes, I will go through days like these. Yes, it does take away the sweetness of life, of festivities, of sharing, of family, of togetherness. No amount of money can buy love.

But days like these, will teach me to appreciate the days that I had, when you were around, Mum. And the days when I will have it again in future, hopefully, with a wife and children. Days like these, will make me stronger and take life less for granted.

Don't worry, Mum. One day, I will enjoy Aidilfitri again. Just like I did with you and our family. One day in the future.

**********************************************************************************

To all who are reading - it's not my intent to depress you on this wondrous day - but I hope in some way, what you read here will make you appreciate more the family and the home that you have, during Aidilfitri.

Because the truth is, we never really know what we've got, until it's gone. We borrow these moments and our loved ones from God - so please, make the best of it.

Me? I'm wishing for a better Aidilfitri next year. And a better life, too. Not alone. Letih hidup sebatang kara ni.

Selamat Hari Raya, folks - Maaf Zahir Batin. May the joy and blessings of Syawal be with you.


Salam Aidilfitri,
Stingray
(in his condo,...with cookies)

21 Comments:

Blogger lita said...

dear ray - selamat hari raya, maaf zahir & batin. and virtual hugs from me on this day.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Pink-Fins @ Blue-Fins said...

;'-(

Salam Aidilfitri Meow... Virtual hug from me too..

9:41 PM  
Blogger Seeking Solace said...

You're making me well up here... I can't imagine how hari raya would be like without my mum, I know what you mean when you said your mum adds something special to the day, because I feel that my mum does that too. Cheer up ya... Here's to a selamat hari raya :)
*Hugs*

ps. You know where to reach me and you know I'm nearby if you need a friend.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Lita:

Salam Aidilfitri, maaf zahir batin to you too. Thanks for the "virtual" hug - when can I collect the real one? ;)

You cookies kept me cheerful - the choc chip one dah habis! :)


Pink Fins:

Meow, Pink Fins. Don't cry on Aidilfitri, pretty girl. I'm not doing as badly as I thought I would, today.

Thanks for the virtual hug. Am collecting the real one, the next time I see you. ;)


xmocha:

Sorry, couldn't make it to Zarina's in time, today. Got caughts up at a relative's place. But yes, will catch up with you soon. :)


Solace:

Your hug ain't virtual. We could be caught for close proximity on this. ;)

And thanks for the offer. I do appreciate it. :)

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray,

It's already 15 minutes to 2nd Syawal and I'm currently too far away to make a difference for you this time around. But this is my word. If things are not better next Raya (and I fervently wish they would for you), I'm packing up the cookies I promised and bring it to your doorstep, together with a pair of new Baju Melayu. And if I can't bring you to my house, I'll stay at yours. With another angel of yours, of course (don't want to be caught in close proximity now, do we?heheh.)

And don't you dare think I would not do it :)

But for this year... *big hugs*

7:57 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Voice:

Thanks! The cookies will be fine - the new baju Melayu tu, I'll do one by myself-lah. ;)

At the risk of sounding optimistic, I think things will be better next Raya. May already even have an angel, by then. ;)

It's tough this time round because it's the first time, I'm facing these new circumstances.

But I know me - alah bisa tegal biasa - I'll bounce back. When you've hit emotional rock bottom, the only way is up.

But thanks for the support, Voice. :)

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good, that's the spirit! :)

7:35 PM  
Blogger MDR said...

aw Sting, now u made me wanna cry...but this reflection makes me aware of all the things that i take for granted..the stuff most of us do, that is...thru it all, i'm glad that your spirit is still there, unbreakable...i don't know what words would be the right ones to say..but i believe that whatever 'down' periods we go thru in life...as Shakespeare aptly puts it, 'this too shall pass...'

Selamat Hari Raya n Maaf Zahir Batin...n don't let anything (not even sadness n nostalgia) stop u from celebrating...in whatever way u can...so go have fun at those open houses ok! :-)

2:26 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Marina:

Welcome back! Jangan le nangis, it's Raya ni. Nanti your hubby will ban you from reading my blog. ;)

Yes, I realize that "this too shall pass". The problem is when it passes very slowly and the solution seems to nevert come. ;)

But yes, have been to 6 open houses in the last 2 days and I've been having a great time.

The food is good, the company is fun and meaningful and the conversations are interesting. Plus some good friends have called to catch up over teh tarik, too. :)

It's not the same as previous Rayas, but I must admit, it's a different kind of fun. In a good way.

Marina, dear - update your blog, please. :) Hungry for some Raya stories!

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful, wistful and yet hopeful ode to your Mom.

I'm sure the day you'll get the hang of "lipat sampin" she'd surely be laughing with glee up there. :)

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi bro,

Glad to hear that u're holding up well, despite everything.

Nothing much I can say (that hasn't already been said); but suffice for me to say this prayer for you:

May Allah bless you always;
May He lend you Wisdom to judge between the ephemeral temptations of Today and the real Happiness of Forevermore;
May He grant you the Strength and Fortitude to walk down the path that all great and good men have trodden before you;
May He fulfil you truest Hopes and erase the Fears that hold you back from your Destiny;
May He grant you success in this world and felicity in the Hereafter.

Sincerely, from your bro.

Salam,
ZR

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro ... selamat hari raya, maaf zahir n batin ... the travelling abt has taken me out of my otherwise mellowy moments, but i feel for you and understand what u r going thru. Stay well k.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Nenn:

Welcome to the blog!

I don't ever want to get the hang of it. I want to be able to bother my future wife about tying the kain samping. ;)

p.s. On an unrelated matter, is your work electricity-related?


ZR:

Thanks for your prayer. I do appreciate it and I appreciate your friendship.

And I appreciate you most when I hear you singing at karaoke - first class entertainment on each outing! :)

p.s. Thinktankgal, you're a good singer too, as ZR and I have discovered. :)


LX:

Thanks bro'. You take care too. Looking forward to raiding your cookie shop in KLCC. :)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Joe Frigg said...

Home is in your heart bro.. even when everything physical that represents the things and memories we treasure dissapear..

As for the sampin & baju melayu.. good god.. u r such a manja mommy's boy! eewww eeewww eewww.. macam mana nak dapat a real woman kalau pendekar kena suruh mak ikat kalau sampin terlondeh! kekekekeh.. maaf zahir batin yeea...

Datin P didn't have to tie my sampin.. but she did a great job of whacking all the cookies and food at all my relatives homes.. so proud of her.. boleh bawak majlis, boleh masuk minang.. :D

btw, she said there may be a possible angel candidate for u... pls belanja her makan for details. ;)

I for one completely agree that this angel is a great match for you.. we couldn't help but notice the compatibility factor that was off the scale.. and if u screw this up, u will owe us lambu shanks at Charlies.. ;)

Selamat Hari Raya bro..
We're still waiting for your open condo invitation where you will cook all ur mom's famous delicacies..

Maaf Zahir Batin from us both..

p.s: I wonder who will be first to give who's kids duit raya.. that's another bet eh?

9:22 AM  
Blogger Joe Frigg said...

p.s: if u both get caught for err.. berdua-dua-an yang menimbulkan syak wasangka (Regulasi ITM - 3 point demerit).. we can't help you.. ;)
hehehe..

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ray,

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Maaf Zahir & Batin from me and Fische.

I guess all families go through some form of Eid transition where we have to let go of the old transitions and make way for new ones. Just look at this year as 'the gap in between'. I'm sure your wish will come true come next year.

Anyway, don't you Kelantanese make a bigger deal of Raya Haji than Raya Puasa? So sempat lagi la u cari your angel... heheh...

I don't really have an Open House planned, tapi dapur dah penuh dgn kuih raya, some donated, some bought, tapi semua kuih 'tunjuk2'. You, Datuk P (and Datin of course) and the rest of the gang are more than welcome to come down south to beraya (it is for a whole month after all...).

Take care!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

JD:

On the samping, you can call me "pendekar samping londeh", at least for the next few years. ;)

Yes, home is very much in the heart. And my home is empty right now, bro'.

On angels, any help offered is much appreciated. I'm not very good at it, I'm beginning to conclude.

You can do everything right and still get the conclusions wrong.

As for the open house, am taking a break for this year. Maybe next year - if circumstances (on the happiness scale, that is) are better.

And the way things are going - I think I'll definitely be the first one to give your kids duit raya. ;)


Pseudonym0us:

When you're listening to Fauziah Latiff ballads, you're in a bad way. ;)

(My personal favourite is Teratai Layu di Tasik Madu ;))

Stay macho, bro'. December 1st is coming! :)


Najah:

True enough. It is a transition period and a "gap year". I acknowledge and accept that. There's no choice but to accept it.

Thanks for the Singapore open house offer. :)We'll see how, k?

If I've got time away from the biz, I will definitely go down south for a quick trip. :)

Eid Mubarak to both you and Fische (and oh yes, baby in tummy too,...:))

2:45 AM  
Blogger Sharizal said...

ok ok enuff of this. dah ajak gi bangkok tak nak... ok i'm back so let's go all of them open housess!!!! we'll work on the angels bit and JD's lamb shank after we're done with the eating...

1:16 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Rizal:

Welcome back, bro'! :) Hope you had fun in Bangkok with your family.

On the open houses, I've promised Lita that I'll bring you to her house (so that we both can use that injured leg of yours, to good use, with them chicks ;))

On angels - I'm in recovery mode, from someone. Let's give it a rest for the whole of this year. It's emotionally draining.

On Lamb shanks, obviously we're going to win against JD,...;)

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stingray,

*hugs* on Aidilfitri. Believe me, I have gone through what you have gone through and YES it gets better with time. The future will bring you the change of air and moments like these are great teachers for our soul.

VIVA

10:54 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Viva:

Welcome to the blog! :)

Am glad to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel, from a survivor. :) That's pretty consoling, Viva.

As for now, I could do with a lot less teaching and learning for the soul and a lot more living.

Any more learning than this and I shall become (as Rizal would say it) some wise old man hermit on top of a mountain - dispensing answers to those seeking the meaning of life.

Haha!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home