Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Adibah Noor - What A Star!

Bought a copy of Adibah Noor's debut album "Terlalu Istimewa" last night. It was one of the best RM20 purchases, I've ever made.


According to the grapevine, Adibah Noor had problems getting a recording company to produce her album. So, with some support from some talented musicians in the country (which includes Azlan Abu Hassan, whom to me is the most talented R&B composer between the Adnan brothers), she went out of her way and produced the album on her own.

Gutsy woman. Big gamble - for a big woman. But I would say that it has paid off handsomely!


It's a great debut album and shows how many people have underestimated Adibah Noor's ability, as a recording artiste. She's definitely got one of the best vocals in this country. Anyone who has heard her sing live - can attest to this.

The 2nd song in the album - "Putih" has such an upbeat and uplifting guitar-strumming "Sunday morning effect" on me. The best song in the album, as far as I'm concerned.

The next song, "Fantasi Sebuah Cinta" is a sentimental ballad that has Azlan Abu Hassan's beautiful arrangement written all over it and shows off Adibah's strong vocals to good effect.

"Joget Hati Senang" is pleasant to the ears and Adibah shows another side to her - her ability to render a joget tune flawlessly and in a very festive, localized "Melayu" fashion. She sounded like one of those Hari Raya tune singers from the 70's!

"Terlalu Istimewa" is another sweet but sad ballad, another Azlan Abu Hassan coup. Adibah sang this well and the arrangement was just exquisite. Adibah wrote the lyrics for this one - showing off her budding talent as a lyricist.


The remake of "Ikan Di Laut, Asam Di Darat" reminds me of one of Roslan Aziz's modification to P. Ramlee songs in Sheila Majid's album "Lagenda" - albeit not in a jazzy way. It's a modern version of an old tune and is given a new lease of life, with bass, latin percussions and a slice of acapella. Adibah sounds cool, breezy and relaxed here.


"Pengorbanan" is another good ballad by Azlan. It's still a good ballad, but at aboout this point one wonders whether there are too many sentimental ballads given to Adibah and the similarity in the sound and music arrangements start to show. There were parts here where Adibah's vocals, sounded like she was singing a theme song for a Disney animation movie.


"Begitulah Asmara" is an interesting piece, although I felt that they could have picked a better lyricist, for the song. "Hanya Restu" is another Azlan ballad with lyrics by Adibah but it didn't sound similar to the earlier ballads and the lyrics seem to suit the song pretty well, somehow.

"Terlalu Hina" is a rock tune that showed Adibah's potential in tackling a wider repertoire of songs. And this song has a strong social message - villifying child molesters and abusers.


My only criticism of this first album is that there were not more songs that showed Adibah's ability, in other song genres - perhaps, hip-hop, jazz, a rap team-up with another group, or in soft rock/alternative rock music. But there are always future albums, to look forward to. :)

Overall, as a debut album (packed in with 6 minus one songs, if you want to practice your karaoke ;)) and for just a price of RM20 (with RM3 going to Majlis Kanser Nasional (MAKNA), MERCY Malaysia and Yayasan Sultanah Bahiyah), "Terlalu Istimewa" is a MUST buy!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heyy ya ray..
i guess the term 'berhibur sambil beramal' suits the album. Kudos to Adibah for her vocal talent and the awareness in contributing her part to the society. Not to mention, i will always remember her in the TV3 ad, where the guy was telling her to stop lurking in the water looking for crocodiles..since steve is doing snake tonite..ahaksss
nice weekend ahead ray...

1:44 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni:

Thanks for the "inside track". I didn't know I had a "friend of the stars" on my blog. :)

Now, I'm even more honoured to have you here. ;)

But you're right - it did not do her justice. But for a debut album priced at RM20, I'd say it's value for money.

I'd like to see the likes of M. Nasir, Roslan Aziz or Ajai do a song for her and see where it ends up. A little more spice would do her next album, a world of good.


And yes, have heard good things about Nikki, too. Will pick up a copy of her album, soon.

You're an STF girl? Geeeez.

I've always been partial to TKCians, for some reason. ;)

p.s. Carte blanche applies. No worries about long entry. :)


Shud:

I must have missed that ad. Damn! See what happens when you stop watching national TV? ;)

You have a nice weekend too, Shud. :)

2:03 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni:

No offence meant, dear. It was a harmless "geez". ;) Hehehe.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to cik noni - hidup SriKandi Tun Fatimah! I am the daughter of one of you...if another school had not been faster in snapping me up when I was thirteen, I could have ended up being one myself..hehehe..

8:48 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Voice:

Thank your lucky stars! ;)

Just kidding, Noni! Hehehehe. :)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni:

Hahahaha. Noni kaki pukul!

Instead of that, why don't you and Voice's mum get together and find me a nice and hot STF girl to marry? ;)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni:

Noni's Poultry Services? Ahhahahhahaa,...that's funny! :D

But for now, let's not get on the matchmaking track-lah. I have an awful track record, at it. And I don't blame anyone but myself.

As Xena would say it - perhaps, I haven't been entirely "detailed" in relating to my poultry farmers what I'm looking for. ;)

But yes, am open to making new friends and widening my social circles.

Noni's Coffee Club is much more preferable to Noni's Poultry Services, for the moment. :)

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.. I was being referred to this blog by a friend,who was pointing out comments made by Stingray. Thought I'd say thanks for the nice compliments and I guess it was over 1 year of hardwork and perseverance. But I have to have make some clarifications regarding noni's misunderstanding of the album. Firstly , about financial constraints and thus my appointment. This gives the impression that I charge cheap and produce sub-standard work, which I beg to differ (I charge the market price regardless of singer) Secondly, I'm one of the 4 producers in the album, and it was mixed in 3 studios. My production was mixed in Grooveworks Studio, not Adnan's studio. Adnan is not involved in this album.Thirdly, there are no reject songs in this album ( I dont know what gives you the impression). The song 'Fantasi Sebuah Cinta' was in fact originally written for erra but as you are probably aware, her album was postponed(she wanted the song fyi) so it was on a first come first serve basis. As for 'pengorbanan', being in the music industry, you should also know that this song represented Malaysia back in 2001 and won 3rd place in Asia Song Festival. There are reasons why Adibah doesnt sing as high as she used to (it's due to a medical reason) and you wont hear her singing at the top of her lungs like she did 5 years ago. Hope this clarifies some of the misunderstanding. Thanks

P/S: Stingray, 'Hanya Restu' was written by Jari, who is currently in Berklee College.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Azlan Abu Hassan:

First, let me tell you what a great honour it is for me, to have you visit my blog. :) I've been a big fan of your work, for a long time.

I liked your work in Adibah's album and loved some of your other recent works for Jaclyn Victor like "Padamu Permataku" and "Cuma Setia". :) Great stuff!!


As for the mistake on "Hanya Restu" - sorry about that. It was an oversight on my part. I stand corrected. But it's still a good song, nevertheless - please do send Jari my congrats!. :)

If there are any factual errors that I mentioned, my apologies for that too.


And thanks for the clarification, Azlan. I'm sure many of your other fans reading this blog, appreciates it.

To me, Azlan, you are the king of Malay R&B ballads. :) (Gosh, sorry if I sound like a star-struck fan! ;))

Last, but not least - please keep up the good work. Your songs are always appreciated here. :)


Noni:

Azlan Abu Hassan is here on my blog! WOW!! :)

Maybe I should write a review of Ramli MS or Ajai next, huh? ;)

12:17 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Noni:

Hey! Are you calling me chicken? ;D

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u guys may find more info about adibah at her official website.
Visit http://www.adibah-noor.com

cheers!

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home