Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

American Idol - A "Wonder"-ful Night

I'm going to echo some of the judges of American Idol - this is the BEST group of 12 finalists we've ever had, in the American Idol series.

(Despite the fact that I felt that Ayla Brown deserved to qualify into the top 12 last week)

My sympathies went out to all the finalists tonight as the theme for this particular episode was focused on Stevie Wonder songs. Stevie Wonder songs are tricky - his high notes are challenging and his low notes are even more difficult, as he could sing it melodically (in a way that most people in this world, cannot).

But I was greatly envious that all of them got to meet the legendary Stevie Wonder. Some of them were visibly moved and overawed by his presence and it's definitely understandable. I mean - who has not heard a Stevie Wonder song?


But my personal ranking of the finalists, in order of performance tonight, are as follows:-

1) Chris Daughtry - this man is definitely superstar material - he's like Vin Diesel and Bo Bice (but better and more original) combined;

2) Katherine McPhee - another one that WILL be a success, regardless of whether she wins or not. This girl is the whole package - star quality and mature singing presence, amazing vocals, loads of style, strikingly attractive and is blessed with a nice pair of,...lungs.; (What were you thinking? ;))

3) Mandisa - Stevie Wonder said of her "this girl can sing anything". I totally agree. But she's only 3rd best, I feel, for this week. But she's certainly been the most consistent, of ALL the finalists;


4) Paris Bennett - She's a wild card, but this girl has bags of vocal talent and is certainly one of the most energetic and composed performers, in the pack. Versatile and may just be able to surprise.

5) Elliot Yamin - Good voice, good performance, consistent and has a great feel for his song. Will sail through;

6) Taylor Hicks - another energetic performance, he's a lot of fun to watch and gives it his 100% everytime. Tonight was no different. Age and popularity is the only thing going against him, surviving longer;

7) Lisa Tucker - she's my disappointment for tonight. She could have picked a song that was less low tone and repetitive (and safe) and which allows her to show off her vocal range and take some risks. A ballad would have been a better choice. Talent-wise, she's got what it takes to be in the top 3, but she's got to start stepping it up a little.


8) Bucky - Surprisingly good performance, for someone who has hardly listened to Stevie Wonder songs. Shows that he can out of his country song genre and still be entertaining;

9) Ace - Entertaining performance tonight. He's usually never superlative, but consistently good. His good looks is a definite advantage, in him lasting longer in the competition;

10) Melissa McGhee - She forgot part of her lyrics tonight and I thought that should be unforgivable, for someone in a singing competition. However, having said that, the girl delivered a strong performance and put her unique vocals to good use. It may have justified her surviving into the top 12, if she keeps this up;

11) Kellie - Totally out of her depth tonight. Could not get out of her country song mould and struggled greatly. But I think America will let her stay on, because she has such a cute and appealing personality;

12) Kevin Covais - Wrong song choice. Even though it's well-attempted and almost credible performance, but the young boy is just not made out to sing "Part-Time Lover". It just didn't fit.


My prediction for top 3 for American Idol has changed. It's now Chris Daughtry, Katherine McPhee and Mandisa.

If Lisa Tucker wants to be in the top 3, she's got to buck up and show the world, what she's got. And never rule out, Paris Bennett - the girl's a firecracker!

But for this week's elimination: my guess is that it would be "Chicken Little" Kevin Covais. Unless the teeny-bopper votes save him. If that happens, Melissa McGhee would be next, on the list. Let's see if I'm right, tomorrow night.

And once we reach the top 10 finalists - it's going to be a heartbreak every week from there, because they're all either good or brilliant. And knowing the unfair sway of the SMS votes, there will be some shockers for sure!

What an amazing season! :) I'm really looking forward to more future episodes of American Idol!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude..

Spot on lah you. So terror. Melissa memang terkeluar pun. Hmm. But she did butcher the song. I love that song pulak tu.. especially when Jodeci sang it... Ooohh! I think K-ci and Jojo cringed when they heard her sing last night! Haha..

11:12 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

Tima kacih. :)

Eh, results are out already, ah? I thought it was tonight? Are you guessing that Melissa McGhee was kicked out or do you know for sure?

She didn't butcher the song-lah, I felt. It was rather okay - but that forgetting the lyrics part, should not have happened.

I would prefer Kevin Covais to be kicked out, though. He's so out of his league in this competition.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked out the website.. heheh. Can't wait for StarWorld lah. Too agonizing.. heheh. But yes, Melissa's out. She's got an OK voice, but she definitely can't pull "Lately". It's too difficult a song for her..

Next up, I think Ace and Kevin should start packing their bags, kan.. Hmmm.

..Lately I have had this strangest feeling,
with no vivd reasons here to find.
Yet the thought of losing you've been hanging, 'round my mind...
Far more frequently you're wearing perfume,
with you say, "No special place to go"
But when I ask will you be coming back soon,
you don't know, never know.

Chorus:
Well, I'm a man of many wishes,
I hope my premonition misses,
but what I really feel, my eyes won't let me hide,
cause they always start to cry.
cause it's time could mean goodbye.

Lately I've been staring in the mirror,
very slowly picking me apart.
Tryin' to tell myself I have no reason, to be in your heart.
Just the other night while you were sleeping,
I vaguely heard you whisper someone's name.
But when I ask you of the thoughts you're keeping,
you just say, nothing's changed..

1:44 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

Aiseyman, Pixie dear, don't lah spoil the surprise for me. :(

In my rather despondent and empty personal life lately, looking forward to American Idol results have become a great source of emotional escape. ;)

But, ah well, it's Melissa this round - next round, should be Kevin "Chicken Little" Covais,...

2:44 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

You wrote the lyrics for "Lately" down. You must really like the song. :)

But yes, it's one of the toughest Stevie Wonder songs to sing,....

2:46 AM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

i think chris is hot. he should be the next idol.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Sharizal said...

i think u hv too much time on you hands... u need to spend it wisely.. hv you finished that book i asked u to read yet? :p

2:10 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Babe:

I would almost agree with you, if not for the bombshell Kathering McPhee. :)


Rizal:

Yes, you're right - I do have too much time on my hands when I'm not working.

Although thankfully, work is likely to encroach much further into the personal life area come mid-April - May, once the investment monies are in.

I really appreciate your intention to help me out, I do. But I really can't read that book you lent me.

First, it's not reader-friendly (not to me, anyway).

Secondly, as much as I appreciate that the techniques must work in real life, for many people - I think it's really manipulative and demeaning, to the fairer sex.

The book is right - this is probably the way "the game" is played.

(And even Fiza said that women do enjoy being a part of "the game" without knowing, that they're a part of it)

But honestly, bro' - I'd rather succeed or (more likely) fail on my merits and being myself, than to play along with "the game".

I can't help but feel that it's dishonest, somehow. (I'm so going to fail on the chicks scene, aren't I? ;))

Join me for the next American Idol show? ;)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

Sorry, typo. That's KATHERINE McPhee. My typing is going to the dogs, I tell you. ;)

5:09 AM  
Blogger Sharizal said...

bro that is why you must read the book. you are judging the book byt its cover and in this case the title and not giving it a fair chance...

7:38 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Rizal:

It's like reading the English literature classics.

I don't have the patience to finish the book, but I'd watch the movie adaptation.

So, why don't just tell me the point of the book and just show me how it's done? ;)

8:21 PM  
Blogger an0nymous-ign0ranus said...

must agree with ya. Katharine McPhee is kinda cute.

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't cheked your blog for a while. So another heartbreak. Is it "Yummy girl" you broke up with? I thought you already gave up on her.

Anyway, if you can get away, come over to Jakarta. I think it is quite easy to pick up the chicks or have them pick you up.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Babe:

Yep, yep and yep.

Babu:

No, it's not Yummy Girl. It's someone else.

Jakarta? There are some memories in Jakarta, that I'd rather not revisit. But thanks for the invitation. :)

3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May be here on a one year assignment - to be negotiated. Too bad you have bad memories. Seems ok to me - so far. wife's not around - but have not been up to much ;) Any recommendations?

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There are some memories in Jakarta, that I'd rather not revisit."


Brother Ray, I can recall. He,he:)
Brideshead Resthouse.

First, there were the butterflies in your tummy, coffee and oh, sooo pretty company.

Then, the (ahem) unexpected proposition...

Followed by the close encounter of another kind: the echo of footsteps, the tingling down your spine, the chill in the air. You nonchalantly slowed down, wondering what was to come.

Admit it, you were spooked. Oh, you tried hard not to show it. In studied casualness you turned your head and peeped at the wardrobe glass. Fear had you in knots. Did you think you might see a knife, or something else?

And then you saw HER. The "ghostly apparition" brushed ever so gently against your sleeve, you did not feel it, but it had you rooted to the spot.

Who was she? Lady Macbeth off to wash the blood from her hands? An assassin of spirit? Or, perhaps, a prophesying witch?

So wound-up were you, had a file fallen at your feet, you'd have jumped! Haha... sweet dreams;)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Babu:

Go cuci mata at Plaza Senayan, bro'. :)


Anonymous:

You have a talent for imaginative fiction, my friend. :)

You should put that talent for story-telling to proper use, rather than let it languish, on my low-profile blog.

But no sir, that's not quite the memory that I'd like to let go. Some things are "ghosts" of a different kind.

Less spooky, but traumatizing all the same.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home