Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Of Break-Ups, Apples and Oranges

It was an amazingly civil break-up. No raised voices, no harsh exchanges of words, no venom expressed. It was a mutual decision - we understood each other's limits and constraints.

I bought her a gift for her birthday, even though I'm a few days early. (Probably because I already knew that I wouldn't be around her, by the time, her birhthday comes)

I bought her a bouquet of roses, which she's completely elated about. She cooked me a yummy home-cooked lunch and we ate together.


And then we had "the talk". It's been in the offing, for about a week now.

There was so much I wanted to say. There was so much that was rehearsed in my mind repeatedly - love, anger frustration, hope. And perhaps, some sincere advice too. I had an emotional diarrhoea, ready to burst out.

But when it came to the crunch, I felt it all irrelevant and unnecessary. The gist is that we both have our limits which we can tolerate. And constraints, that we have to work within. And I kept the things I said, to a bare minimum.

She was as cool as ice. If there were emotions under that fine exterior, it did not show.

In that sense, she and my mother would have been best friends - perhaps, they both consider emotions, a sign of weakness. Or maybe life has hardened them to a point, where the only emotions expressed, are to themselves.

And at this point in time, this relationship is not going to work. It'd be unhealthy to continue. Especially for me. Three's a crowd.

She spoke about him with admiration - perhaps, rationalizing why she was still in love with him and hanging on, to an unlikely mirage. Not that she needed to - I understand these sort of things perfectly, due to a wealth of past experiences. Too well, perhaps.

But I didn't feel as hurt as I thought I would, hearing her talk about him. I didn't feel inferior or defeated, compared to the other chap. We were just 2 very different people, with very different natures and circumstances. Just because she wants apples, doesn't make me a bad orange. (It took me 16 years to learn that)


Of course, I wish things would be different. But I've been around this block a few times before, enough to know that we don't always get what we want - regardless of how much more sense things make, compared to the alternative.

We laid down the ground rules. Reluctantly or otherwise, my conditions were mutually agreed on and accepted. Total radio silence. It was the only way that we're probably not going to walk down this path again, for the 3rd time.

And when it was all over and done with, she gave me one final goodbye hug. I said "thanks" and later, "I love you" one final time - and moved on. With warmth and smiles, in all civility possible.

And I didn't shed a single tear, until I was back in the confines of my home,....


***********************************************************

Breaking-up is never easy - even as you get older. The emotional impact can still be quite deep - especially, if the feelings are deep and intense.

But age and experience surrounding this familiar bend, has improved me, somewhat. As you understand more, your approach to things becomes more refined, over time. Almost surgical and mechanical, I would say.

The drama and theatrics has lessened, considerably. So has the venom.

And to a certain extent, there are fewer regrets, too. You risk your heart on the line again, but with your eyes wide open and with one part of your heart preserved, so that you don't go off the deep end.

(Like I did in the previous 3 major relationships before her, for instance, within the last 16 years,....)

You spend more time trying to understand why people act the way they do and the rationale behind their decisions and choices. And spend lesser time, trying to attribute fault or blame. And you begin to understand the differences between apples and oranges. And you accept it.

And that sometimes, it has nothing with the amount of effort, you put in. You're just NOT an apple. And no amount of effort would make you one - unless you want to be someone, that you're not.

Yes, it would have been nice, if people could be constantly clear and consistent on whether they want apples or oranges (and reflect such behaviour). But people being people, clarity and consistency, is a rare virtue. Perhaps, it comes with time and experience.


**********************************************************

Truth be told, it was good, while it lasted (even for the 2nd time).

I will miss her and I will miss the children, greatly. Nothing feels quite as good as a family. I'm making a mental note never to get into a relationship with another divorcee with children again - because the split from the children, gives an additional dimension to the pain of splitting up. It's a double whammy.

But Life goes on. It has to. You've just got to live, learn and continue. And pray for fewer errors of judgement and of giving others, too much benefit of the doubt.

But most of all - you need to find the strength, to never lose faith. In Life, in people, in happiness and in the belief that one day - someone you love, will learn to love you, for who you are.

Not for what you have or own. Not for what you provide them, for their own selfish motivations. Just for the person you are - the rest of the benefits, are just perks.

Just because you're an orange and she loves oranges. It shouldn't have to be so hard - it should feel like the most natural thing in the world. And I've been there before and it will happen again. God willing.

Keep the faith.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude

Unless i got the timing wrong here, didn't you just the day earlier try to pick up a girl in a bar (see the earlier posting Romeo yang Kantoi)???
Which means you were already two-timing this lady before even breaking up with her?

Tsk, tsk.

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe my thoughts, precisely.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Anonymous (and Dinzie):

I was returning her the favour, you could say.

And my mind was already made up by then, to split up. We were supposed to meet up on Wednesday.

Three's a crowd, in a relationship.

And correction: I didn't try to pick up the girl. She tried to pick me up. There was no other intention on my side, before the indecent proposal came.

All I did was start a conversation - which people generally do in social outings, don't they?

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm Stingray...and I quote your article... "The stage was set, for an introduction. I'm generally shy, when it comes to chatting up strangers in a bar, therefore I needed a lot of reassurance. And I felt had it, that night. After Rizal left with Ms. Vavavoom, I coolly cruised over to the seat beside her and was ready to introduce myself".

In addition you also refer to yourself at the latter part of the article as "single and bored".

Dude, just be consistent - that's what's the problem.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Anonymous:

I am fairly consistent. I wrote it, as I felt it, at that time. I had no one that was exclusively mine, alone.

I was in a relationship, but there was a triangle involved.

In my mind, the break-up was inevitable. I'd have done it earlier, if I could have met her earlier.

If it makes you feel any better, I told the lady that I was breaking up with the "Romeo Yang Kantoi" story.

She found it amusing, too and we had a good laugh about it, today.

Sorry to disappoint you, but there's really nothing to hide here. I'm being completely transparent.

If I was trying to hide something, I wouldn't put it out on the blog, for all and sundry, to see.

Am sorry that my writing is not structurally consistent enough for you - but this is a personal blog - not the Promuda Circle e-mail group.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya StingRay,
Didn't look at your blog for days and suddenly banyaknya post. (: Hope you are feeling better and things will take a better turn for you. I understand what you must be going through. Take care ya and see you soon.

hugs

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, ever thought of writing a romance novel bro? am sure lotsa women would enjoy yer writing. puts nora roberts to shame....

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, ever thought of writing a romance novel bro? am sure lotsa women would enjoy yer writing. puts nora roberts to shame....

11:02 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Clarissa:

Thanks, dear. Am alive,...and still breathing.


Anonymous:

I'll reply this, on the assumption that you're nor being sarcastic here. ;)

Why write a romance novel when you can live one? (Okay, fair enough point that my life is full of failed romances).

I don't think I'd be keen on writing a romance novel, though.

But truth be told - I wouldn't mind taking a stab at becoming Malaysia's male version of Nora Ephron (of "Sleepless in Seattle" and "When Harry Met Sally" fame)

Maybe one day, when I'm retired and really bored, kot. :)

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home