Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Monday, March 20, 2006

Pondering Malaysia

A few nights ago, I took time out to have teh tarik with Prabajee (not his real name, but close enough)

Prabajee is a much bigger optimist than I, about Malaysia.

He's a Sentul boy and a former top national level debater and speaks fluent Malay and Tamil. He majored in philosophy and previously been been a lecturer in our local university system (and has continuously lamented its downward slide) and now, he's a businessman. Occasionally, he dabbles in opposition politics, although he claims to be neutral and not anti-Government.

He considers himself a Malaysian first and hates it when I call him an Indian. And of course, I do it just to annoy him. :) And if I want to go the extra mile, I tell him to join the MIC, to make political change. It usually riles him up sufficiently, to keep me amused.

He's a unique character and definitely interesting. Intensely intelligent when he's sober and still more eloquent than most, when he's drunk. And sometimes, shockingly vulgar but all round fun, packaged in a human being, that seems to balance many extremes.

***********************************************************

Prabajee and I have a unique friendship, as it usually revolves around him, trying to convince me not to migrate to New Zealand, in 5-10 years time.

Prabajee believes in this country and its ability to change, for the better. He's darn well decided that this is home and this is where he'll make his stand, to realize the Malaysia that he's always dreamt of. A race-blind, economically competitive and politically mature, Malaysia. Where citizens know and fight for their rights and are not easily hoodwinked or voluntairily steamrolled, by the people they elect.

Maybe he won't be able to see the fruits of his labour in this lifetime, but he believes in doing his part. And he does - although I know he plans to do more, one day.

And he's trying to get me to do more. And admittedly, there are times when I am ashamed of myself - that I do not share his optimism on Malaysia nor his fighting spirit. I should, shouldn't I?

Every country that has enjoyed strong civil liberties, strong economic progress and the accountability of its Government, has had that foundation built on the sacrifices of a few men who dared stand up to authority, risking life and limb. They have fought for the cause and their people, they have fought against tyrants, they have given much of their life to it and sometimes, they have died for it.

But they did it. Because it was the right thing to do. Because nothing good was ever built without the willingness of individual sacrifice, for the greater good. And leaders are the sort of people who would step forward, when others hesitate to do so. To inspire, to lead, to think and create a new vision which others will follow.

"So, why are you running off to sheep country?", Prabajee would always ask me.

My answer has always made sense to me, but has never made sense to him. It's a provocative perspective, but I think it applies.

It's because Malaysia is not a country - not in the true sense of the word. There are no Malaysian citizens in this country - there are only citizens of different races. What we have is a geographical demarcation wtih a multi-racial coalition of people who happen to live and co-exist together, sometimes stuck together, due to historical circumstances.

Malaysia is a workplace for a multi-racial populace, not a country.

As long as the Government ensures that there is strong economic growth and the economic and income pie is shared by all, no one minds what the Government or our politicians do, at the expense of the voters. As long as there is political stability, it doesn't matter if the Government coffers are being mismanaged and that real people on the ground are being mistreated.

And if there is one common Malaysian trait - this is it. We are willing to be robbed of our collective rights as citizens, (by anyone with power) as long as our individual rice bowls, are full. Every other measurement of right and wrong in leadership, accountability and governance, is negotiable. The political stability we enjoy, is based on this rice bowl mentality, above all else.

Jim Collins, the author of the book "Good To Great" once said that the enemy of the best, is not the mediocre, but the good. And Malaysia is precisely that - given its difficult historical circumstances - it's amazing that it's still standing.

Malaysia is a good country, given its previous circumstances - but it will slide into mediocrity, because we have not even started building a nation, from its people. And we can't stop mediocrity if everyone thinks that the status quo is as good as Malaysia gets.

Yes, it's a peaceful country. No, we're not starving and we're not run by an unelected dictator. (Though some may argue that we've elected dictators in the past and currently, there are many unelected "shadows" behind Pak Lah, making decisions on behalf of him). And yes, the economy is not as bad as many other countries.

Yes, there is much to be thankful for. But this cannot be the basis for us to stop improving who and what we are as a nation. As a people - as Malaysians.

Almost 50 years on after Merdeka, we still operate like different races, co-existing in the same country. With hardly any non-economic related common beliefs and values. (When greed unites people, it usually unites them in a way that's corrosive to others in society).

With little knowledge of our friends in the the other race and a purely shallow and superficial idea of what racial integration means. Racial politics are still being fanned, even within the parties of the governing multi-racial coalition.

And we are being led by a generation that is still living in yesterday's realities and is unprepared to start building on what Malaysia has to be, to be viable in this intensely competitive and globalized world.

They don't see the impact of the outside world, on their country and their people. They think that the current Malaysian formula, is meant to last forever. Nothing could be further from the truth.

And then I see the promising ones in my generation selling out to the system - some of them, are so powerful now - they're literally creating chaos in the business world today, when they wield their political blade. People who once started out with good intentions, are now more corrupt, than the people they intended to replace. And sometimes, this is done at the expense of the good and able ones in my generation.

While other countries are halfway through the economic and higher value chain sprint - we are not yet even at the starting line, to compete in this race.

To find the best of Malaysians to represent its current and future interest and to get Malaysia to work under their leadership, requires us to learn to be race-blind, almost overnight. Other countries work as a team to strengthen themselves - we work like 3 separate teams, in the same country. Sometimes, rowing in different directions.

The general citizens of Malaysia are either not aware of the importance of pulling together or they just don't care. Or their eyes are fixed on their rice bowls and their tiny little world. A learned helplessness, says Praba. I agree.

I'm willing to fight any Government for accountability, for a people that's willing to fight for their rights. But I will not fight my own people, if all they wish for is a rice bowl, while being raped of their rights and resources in broad daylight, by those with political might.

I won't fight for a people that doesn't want to fight. And most of all, I won't fight against my own fellow Malaysians, when they're (relatively) happy with how things are. Change can only come if the people want it - no point trying to sell something people don't want to buy.

I don't fault them for what they wish for, regardless of where it may lead them. And I guess, my only wish is that they will not question the choices that I make, in return.

The world is a big place and our life is much too short. Choose a corner that will make you happy. Life is all about the choices you make.

I began to understand what another London-based Malaysian friend said to me a few years back - "It's easier to live in a country where you don't care for the people and the fate of the country." It took a few years, before I actually understood what he meant. But, yes - it's hurting now.

There's still about 5 years before I'll be at the point when I can and will have to make a choice. And things might change under Pak Lah. And Prabajee may convince me and I might actually stay. And maybe the cow will jump over the moon, too.

But if not Prabajee, you will always be welcome in my home in Wellington, one day. Because I always admire heroes that will die for the cause of others, when they refuse to die for it, themselves.

That's true unselfishness - and it makes you a far better man than me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear, hear! I tend to think that Malaysia has come to where it is despite, not because of, its people and the government; and God helps us when the bubble bursts.

On the other hand, I thought you were supposed to be more optimistic than me? What happened?

P/s:- I suspect we will be meeting in a 'professional' capacity one of these days. In that case, I don't know your blog from Adam and vice versa, yes?

3:07 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Nads:

I'm a realist. That's English for a tired optimist, hanging on to dear hope. :)

And as for meeting in a "professional capacity" - what was your name again? ;)

I'm a fast learner! ;)

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why New Zealand?

As if things are better down there. You want discrimination? - ask any Maori. You want good weather? - they have over 160 active volcanoes there. You want scandal? Ask Prime Minister Helen Clark about the 2005 money for votes furore. And most of all one of the few countries where men age 16-35 years outnumber women. So no action either especially for someone like you.

Get real man. Wake up.This is Malaysia, warts and all. Stop whining. You got some money recently for your company i believe. Make something useful out of it all - like making ASTRO reception better during the rain. Then die happy.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Anonymous:

I didn't say New Zealand was a better country, dear. Of course, it will never be home to me. I'm under no such illusion.

But it is easier to live in a country where you don't feel for the people, or the country.

You won't be furstrated, because there is no sense of belonging and ownership. You don't innately believe in the potential of the people or the country.

And yes, the objective is to die happy. We all choose our own paths for that.

And the right to whine is mine, while I'm still here. Just as others have the right not to whine. I assure you that one day, when I give up, you wil not hear it anymore.

And trust me, brother, I've done my little bit for this country - which is more than what I can say for those who just grin and bear it, everyday.

And I'm still trying to do more, while I still believe.

As for ASTRO reception - this is Malaysia, man - thunderstorm and torrential rain, warts and all.

Go live in sunny Sacramento, if you want access to better pay TV. Or switch to MITV! ;)

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home