Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

American Idol/ The Minister & The NGO's Journey

I only managed to catch the last 3 performances of American Idol tonight and snippets of the others. Came back late and am too tired to do a proper review. Sorry, folks!

But from what I've seen so far, I don't think Ace Young will be kicked out this week. He picked a good song and he sang it well.

Katherine McPhee was definitely the best performer tonight singing "Someone To Watch Over Me". What an amazing performance - she was cool, composed and vocally mesmerising, all at once. If she keeps this up, she will be an American Idol.

Second best performance tonight was by Paris Bennett. Can't remember the name of the song - but she sang it brilliantly and the judges loved it.

My gut feel for the bottom 3 this week is Elliot Yamin, Ace Young and Kellie Pickler.
And I think poor Elliot is gonna be kicked out.

Pixie - you're have gonna to pay up on your stake, I think. ;)

*****************************************************

Was busy with a 9th Malaysia Plan function tonight for the NGO tonight, where an idiotic Minister was granstanding to the audience and totally did not allow a panel which had 4 top GLC CEO's and 1 private sector CEO, answer any questions.

I had mixed feelings about tonight's function. The NGO made the most money that it's ever made in a single event and broke the record which I set in 2002, by a total of RM5,000+. I was pleased about that - it doesn't reflect well on The NGO, if event income records have not been broken in 4 years.

And part of the reason was this was the highest we've ever charged for an event (at RM80) and still managed to get an audience of about 120-130 people. (Although my event in 2002 is still holding the record for the largest turnout, for a single event at 180+ people)

But because of the Minister's monopoly on the audience tonight and where none of the panelists got to talk, I think this particular event gave the least value for the money spent. We never got to hear the experts talk on their particular domain expertise and niches.

Well, this is what happens when you get a Minister that's publicity-crazy. He's a politician 24-hours a day - and he doesn't even care how much value he's compromising for the audience's time and money.

He's not a dumb chap - he's a got a postgraduate degree in an engineering major. But sometimes, I feel that he does not have any respect for knowledge - or for the quality of knowledge, that can be garnered by others. He just likes the sound of his voice too much.

*********************************************************

About 3 years ago, in the same venue, I locked horns with the same Minister in a Q&A session. Things got so heated in the debate that he finally raised his voice at me and said, "SIT DOWN, YOUNG MAN!"

In a polite but nonchalant manner - I replied, "Thank You, Dato'". I was not going to give this man any face - any man who has to pull rank to win an argument with me, in front of over 100+ people - is not going to win my respect. Especially, when he's a Minister - I expect a bit more, from my nation's leaders - although almost always, I will get disappointed.

I remember Dato Ariff Nun of MDC walking up to me after the Minister has left and said to me, "You've got balls, boy!" and then he laughed that familiar laugh.

What was there to be scared of? I was right on the debated issue.

And you know what the ironic thing is? This Minister had a crucial role in shaping the initial form of The Program - the bad part. One that we're still stuck with today - from a personal decision made out of political expediency, because elections were around the corner.

There are times when I do regret making deals with bad men. But I didn't know any better, then.

***************************************************************

It was strange seeing the Minister again in the same venue and this time, when I was a part of the organizing committee for tonight's function.

And to see him agree with the views that he vehemently disagreed with, 3 years ago.

And for him to use the same words that the people in the NGO introduced about 4 years ago, within the industry and lobbied to the Government. I could see that he's beginning to understand and to reach the same conclusions that we've reached, about 3-4 years earlier.

Well, it's bloody well about time, Minister!

It was nice that he acknowledged the NGO's work all these years. He mentioned The Program in a very positive light as a product of the NGO's lobbying and I can't help but smile. And he (together with Badman of the newly re-branded Mad Decker organization) welcomed more policy feedback and implementation assistance from The NGO.

The Minister has even put a small new fund under the charge The NGO, to cover a certain domain niche focus area under the 9th Malaysia Plan.

But I still had mixed feelings, somehow. It has been a long journey up to this point of recognition - although The NGO was still a relatively small organization of a few good men, but it has gained much respect and traction over the years. But we've been lucky - most times, we've always had an eye for recruiting good people. The same is true of The Program, too.

But seeing the presentations by 2 of the CEOs tonight and the Minister made me a little concerned. Their ideas were stale and looked like old ideas repackaged in a new box. Where are the new ideas? Where are the breakthrough insights and strategies?

What is the point of the 5-figure salary for most of the senior staff of the organization if they're not thinking and just waiting for the answers to some of the problems that this nation faces, in this particular domain? We're paying fat cats that doesn't really do any hard thinking and does not even implement very well.


Yes, I'm consoled that they're welcoming our feedback from The NGO. It makes it feel like all the effort and nurturing of the last few years, by some of the pillars of the NGO, have not been in vain.

My only fear is that this is the key thing that they're depending on, to solve some of the more strategic barriers, that Malaysia faces. Be it from both a policy or an implementation perspective.

If part-time volunteer professionals in The NGO is all this country has to take the thought leadership to transform Malaysia to the next level - then, I'm worried.

I never had any doubts that The NGO is one of the most experienced and effective organizations within this domain - but if we're the best in their eyes - then, it may not be enough. Malaysia needs more than that, to make the next leap.

Because thinking and implementing policy for national issues - cannot and should not, be a part-time job. That would be like rowing with only one paddle, when everyone else is using two.

This country needs more and it needs radical changes in organizations that are of national importance.

We cannot keep having Ministers who don't listen and have over-grandiose ideas (but with little idea of how to implement it) and CEO's of GLCs that eventually begin to act, like their hands are tied to their political masters or their unwillingness to drastically reform the organization, preferring a slow, organic approach.

And truth be told, there'd be nothing wrong with that perspective. If this were still the 20th century.

National policies are too important an issue, to be left to whims and fancies of politicians. They're too important for our people and they're even more crucial at this stage of Malaysia's development - where it's either the leap is made or regression is but a certainty.

And unless Malaysia comes to that realization soon - it will be charting its course under ambitious, presumably well-meaning but strategically (and sometimes, intellectually) misguided hands.

Dear God,....keep us under Your blessings and keep us away from bad, indecisive and incapable leaders.

Amin!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest,

Pls get your cash ready. Anyway, I've changed my mind lah. I don't want a COACH handbag because in all honesty, I don't really use handbags. But I'd sooooo love an IPOD (a 1GB IPOD nano would be quite nice, thank you).

I'll tell you where to send the IPOD to later. Okay?

Thanking you in advance for your generosity. It was indeed a pleasure doing business with you. :)

Regards,
pixie.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh oh. As promised, I will stop giving you the results of AI5 waaay before you catch the show in the evening.

But only after I get my IPOD!!!! Hahahahaha... So, till I get my cute IPOD, I will stalk your blog and give you the results as soon as I get them!! *evil laugh! haha*

8:54 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

No way!! You're pulling my leg, right? Ace is OUT? No waaaaay! He was in no way the worst performer, last night. Elliot and Kellie did much worse!

Oiii, I-Pod is out of my league-lah. Choose something cheaper and I'll treat you to it. I'm a man of my words, so I'm keeping my promise but I'm also not a rich man, maaaa,...

I can't believe Ace is out!

And noooo,...you simply cannot keep telling me the results early, evil woman! You'll ruin my Thursday evenings! ;) No fair! That was not part of the deal, dear.

Unless,...I don't check my blog on Thursdays-lah! Try beating that! :)

Hah! ;)

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wei.. if you can mingle with corporate bigwigs and rub shoulders with ministers and all, don't tell me you can't afford a RM700-something IPOD nano! Plus, it's waaaaayyyyyy cheaper than a COACH handbag! Hah!

But yes, Ace is gone. True, he wasn't the worse performer last night. But then again, Bucky wasn't the worse performer last week either..

Hmmm.. if you don't want to check your blog on Thursdays, suka hati awak lah!:p

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Err.. I mean, "worst" performer! Sheesh! :)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Pixie:

Aiyah, I don't mix and rub shoulders with corporate bigwigs and Ministers-lah. More like I rub them the wrong way. ;)

That's why they're rich and I'm not. In the next life, I'd like to be born just like them - then, maybe I can buy 10 I-Pods. ;)

And oiii, don't lah compare Bucky with Ace. There's a BIG difference between people who mumble and people who actually CAN sing. ;)

Hehehehehe,...

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, I would like to reiterate my call for IQ & EQ tests to be administered before someone is elected to Parliament.

I've had the unfortunate experience of hearing that Minister speak at a dinner, although he was holding a different portfolio then- grandstanding is one thing, but uttering nonsense is quite another.

And shouldn't your prayer be "Dear God, please replace our current crop of bad, indecisive and incapable leaders with good, decisive and capable ones. Oh, and it would also be nice if we had someone who wasn't afraid of telling emperors that they're stark staring naked,"?

Then again, doesn't a 'democracy' simply deserve the leaders it chooses?

Sorry for the cynicism- blame it on spending the better part of a fortnight going home at 1 am trying to make sense of the 9MP.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Nads:

Hello there, rakan seperjuangan. ;)

Well, some people say that IQ and EQ tests, only show how good you are in taking such tests. ;)

Yes, I have very little patience for that particular Minister. He's a bright guy - I think IQ-wise he'd be quite impressive - but his listening skills are next to zero, sometimes.

The democracy in Malaysia, suffers because most of the good and bright ones with integrity, stay out of the political system.

Malaysians tend to vote for the party (and sometimes the party president) more than anything else.

The ironic thing is - it may not make a difference which party majority of Malaysians choose, if the quality of people inside opposing parties/coalitions, are just equally bad.

As for the 9MP - don't worry, we missed the targets in the 8MP and 7MP too (and I mean in results, not in spending).

If we could achieve more in this Malaysia Plan, compared to previous ones, it'd already be a great achievement.

But I don't envy your position at all, Nads. It must be tough being there.

Doing the plans are the easy part - working the plans without sufficient volume of talent and support, is a different kettle of fish, altogether.

That's why most people prefer to do strategic consulting, as opposed to implementation consulting. ;)

Right, ZR? ;)


Noni:

Amin indeed, sister. We need all the help we can get.

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home