Mimpi Pari

"The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter"

Name:
Location: Malaysia

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Staking Everything, Again

Every few corners or so, life throws me a horrid turbulence that challenges me to stake everything I have, on a single belief of doing the right thing.

The first time round, with The Program, I lost everything I had created. I lost my job and a comfortable five-figure salary. I stood on a principle and did not bow, to intimidation or succumb to temptations of promotions offered, in order for me to "sell-out".

It was important not to "sell-out" - at the paramount of my considerations, were the people in the industry we represented - it was an important fight, that must be fought.


I fought the people who had taken away The Program from me, tooth and nail, claws and fangs. Some have paid dearly with the jobs and some, with their reputation.

2+ years later, everything I predicted came true - that The Company would eventually fail, in administering The Program.

The Company had let go of The Program, finally waving the white flag and admitting defeat - deep inside, they knew they had no business taking over The Program - and in fact, under their charge, had brought The Program to its knees. Never ask vultures to take care of a hatchery.

The Program is a mere shadow of what it used to be - as the Malay saying goes "hidup segan, mati tak mahu" and it now lives under the threat of being made irrelevant by a more quantum-driven, market-savvy, albeit inferior, Copycat Program.

Today, The Program has become independent - in all senses of the word. And they are now searching for a new leader. I hope that they will find someone that will drive The Program, to be what it should be.

Maybe then, it would be worth the price of my sacrifice.

****************

Today, I find myself at the same corner - this time with The NGO.

I can see the disaster coming a mile away, under Mr Default.

And in a way, it was my biggest mistake - because I helped put him there. I have found that when it comes to picking leaders (or sometimes, even grooming leaders) more often than not, my choices are wrong. Dead wrong.

Today, Mr Default has not only brought in all the undemocratic values of shutting people out who disagree with him, but he has created an ungentlemanly absolute control environment which attempts to emasculate The Council and The Secretariat. He does it in a cloak of silence, every step of the way.

And for the 2nd time, I find myself risking everything again on point of principle - my job, my salary, my reputation - to fight against the tyranny of one, possibly unwittingly endorsed by the fear of many.


I may lose again - but just like the first time, I know that I'm not wrong in reading the situation. It's just a matter of time, before the collapse sets in.

But I guess the difference is this: the first time round, I (and The Program) was victimized by people whom were not on the same side, as I.

But the second time round, I am victimized by people on the same side of the fence. People who should know better and have a higher sense of responsibility and integrity. People who, like I, represent others - but perhaps, some of them have forgotten.

And this second blow, hurts me greatly. The hurt is perhaps, greater than the first time round.

******************

There is always a price, to believing in something - and more so, when you strictly choose to stand by those beliefs.

And if you choose to stand for something, you must always be prepared to pay the price for it.

The rewards are hardly attractive - a clear conscience, good sleep and the knowledge that you had done your best, to do what's right. No regrets.

And don't forget - the opportunity to lose everything.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, believe me.

If one must climb, it is better to climb a ladder that is leaning against the right wall.

It's not just about climbing - it's also about knowing where the wall and ladder leads, so that you may know where it's going - before you lead others there.

I'm not afraid to put everything on the line again - but some things are worth fighting for, because they bring great benefit to many.

Remember who you are, remember who you represent and remember your responsibilities.

And never break the amanah of the collective, because we're afraid to be impolite to a wayward individual leader.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The rewards are hardly attractive" - Dear, that's the best reward, to have a clear conscience and the ability to sleep soundly every night. Do you know how many people are imsoniac these days? :D

We know too well of those leaders; whose main concerns are their own personal glory and gain rather than the organization or people. Jijik!

Churchill once said,"I was not the lion but it fell to me to give the lion's roar" - So roar and be heard Mr. SR!

Tun Teja

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this time and day, not everyone is capable or willing to stake their ricebowls and anything that says 'money' to uphold their integrity and principles. I personally know only two persons who do that - my father, and you.

This stake you put will make some people judge you as stupid and unsuccessful,considering that the world now put your net financial worth as the measure of your success. But I know you don't give a damn about that. And for that, I respect you :)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Stingrayz said...

Tun Teja:

Thanks, dear. I don't know about lion's roar - but I've always managed at the very least, the cat's meow. :)


Suara:

I'm honoured that you think I'm in the same league as your father, dear.

With any luck, I may be even as lucky as him and have a good, sensible daughter like you, one day. :)

As my mentor once said to me - "What matters is the opinion of the people who matter to you - that's your yardstick".

And I've always held on to that.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home